Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant crashes on 2012 Macbook Pro

Hello all!

My first time posting here, I generally go to the Apple Help subreddit. However, they haven't answered my question thus far. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro that I upgraded the RAM and HDD in about 6 months ago. I went from 4gb to 16gb of ram and a 500gb HDD to a 256gb SSD. Both of these upgrades are from PNY. I've done at least 3 full backups and factory resets, with the last of which I just did a clean install of Yosemite and no backup; almost like a brand new machine. Since then I had crashes that were periodic (once a week or so) but this week they've been incredibly problematic. Five crashes yesterday alone! In accordance with that particular subreddits guidelines, I have uploaded the crash reports to GIST at Github, viewable here: Link.

I am at a loss. I love my Macbook and want to keep it running for a long time, hence the upgrades. I just am so frustrated these issues haven't been solved yet!

Thank you so much for any help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 4:57 PM

11 replies

Jul 29, 2015 5:04 PM in response to chopork

Shut down/power off - is the best way to clear out ram after a crash -- sometimes a crashed application does not close out and remains running - then power up -- from another site - recommends shutting down Yosemite regularly to clean up memory.

Yosemite changes the way both RAM and VM are used. If you are used to having open a certain number of applications on your desk top in earlier releases with no problem - loading the same applications with Yosemite may cause Memory pressure.

Yosemite puts your entire application into RAM - unlike earlier releases where it put some in VM (pages in) if you see pages out swapping is occurring.

In order to keep active applications in RAM (those that have activity) Yosemite may compress parts of memory -- if its still not enough for active processes it Kills processes that have had no activity in a certain amount of time, only as a last resort will it swap active processes to VM.

I see 2 downsides to Yosemite: First Killing processes: Some applications may crash because the caller of a process opens it with initialization of some field then tries to call the same application after it has been killed - but is assuming it is running. Second: Compress of Memory - compression of information has one quick - very rare - the data compresses into an instruction that signifies end of data when it really isn't. Both problems would not occur if you have enough ram to run everything you have open.

Jul 29, 2015 5:39 PM in response to chopork

The crash reports you posted almost certainly implicate RAM that is not meeting Apple's stringent specifications. Nothing else matters.

Don't even bother testing it. Return it for a cash refund, purchase memory from a vendor known to support Macs (read below), and spread the word on /r/AppleHelp.

Other than Apple there are only two memory vendors with which I have personal experience and can recommend: Crucial and OWC. People have reported problems with many other brands, yet Crucial and OWC's prices are as good as any you are likely to find. You may also find brands recommended by other ASC contributors but I have no experience with them.

Go to Crucial and download the little app that examines your system and recommends RAM upgrade options.

Their prices are good but don't have to buy memory from them - determine what you need and buy it from Crucial or OWC / MacSales.

Aug 10, 2015 7:44 PM in response to John Galt

Okay, I was finally able to get some Crucial RAM (What was posted in the forum, has the Mac sticker and everything) and installed it. The computer wasn't turned off, which was my mistake- I sincerely thought the battery had fully drained as I hadn't turned it back on since my post here. I restarted the Mac and noticed it was running incredibly slow on startup. It wouldn't even get the loading bar halfway which was weird because I have a SSD. I tried to do recovery and the disk can't be repaired. Also, I noticed that only 18.2mb of my hard drive were available when I've only used ~25GB of a 256GB SSD. I tried to do a clean install and I can't erase the disc because it can't be unmounted. I am so beyond frustrated, I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Aug 10, 2015 8:08 PM in response to chopork

The computer wasn't turned off, ...

Ouch. Sometimes you can get away with that. I suspect in this case the result of removing RAM from the operating Mac was corrupting the PNY SSD though, and from what you describe Disk Utility is unable to fix it...? What specific error is it reporting?

Your recourse may be replacing the SSD with the HDD you removed, or something else Disk Utility can format so that OS X can be installed. I don't know anything about PNY's SSD products, and if Disk Utility can't fix it I have no other suggestions.

Constant crashes on 2012 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.