Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to windows 10 pro can't increase or decrease keybaod light,brightness,mute,volume up,volume down,Help please!

I had upgraded from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10,I'm using MacBook pro Mid 2010,on Windows 8.1 pro my Laptop work well with BootCamp driver, but when upgraded to Windows 10 I can't increase or decrease my keyboard light and can't decrease or increase brightness and sound also.

I press F5 it's refresh instead of decrease keyboard light and so on. Please solve this problems. Best Regard!

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Upgrade from windows 8.1 pro to 10

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:01 PM

13 replies

Jul 30, 2015 4:25 AM in response to EricYWang

I have a Late 2013 Mac Book Pro Retina and I tried getting the boot camp drivers (5.1.5621). Running the setup .exe gave me a warning saying 'this version of bootcamp is not intended for this computer model.

I didn't stop there though. Seeing as the .exe just calls individual install setup files in turn appropriate to your hardware, I jumped to the keyboard driver specifically so I could get fn key, volume and brightness working again so I went into the unzipped BootCamp folder under /Drivers/Apple and installed 'AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe'.

Keyboard working again and this 'seems' to be working. You will get a warning from Windows 10 that's unsure if its compatible, I just hit 'Yes, program installed correctly'. Touch wood this will keep me going until drivers are updated specifically.

I'm not recommending this as a 'solution', just saying it worked for me.

Jul 30, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Sea Dara

Same issue here... Wasting half my day dealing with it...

Upgraded to windows 10 and brightness/volume keys did not work. Went back to windows 8.1 and now same issue there... Did BootCamp repair from USB and nothing changed. Then downloaded BootCamp yet again from Boot Camp Assistant and tried to install/repair my current drivers yet again, still the keys won't work...

Also I noticed in installed programs in Control Paned that BootCamp does not install Keyboard drivers... It's the only one missing. Tried to manually install from "AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe" BootCamp folder just the keyboard driver and it says that they can't find keyboard drivers for my machine...

I am using iMac R5K. And I am open to suggestions of all kind, ty 😀 😀

Jul 30, 2015 3:58 PM in response to choms79

I upgraded my 15" MacBook Pro mid 2010 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and initially experienced the same problem as Sea Dara.

Following exactly the solution by choms79 perfectly solved the problem. Now everything is working as expected, including brightness and volume.

Note that I did not try to reinstall the entire Boot Camp. I simply run AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe and the brightness started working without even the need for a reboot.

Thank you choms79!

Aug 6, 2015 7:41 PM in response to choms79

Thank you so much for sharing the experience.

Followed your instruction download the updated boot camp drivers (5.1.5621) > extract the zip file

> run the setup.exe file

> sit back and relaxed

(took about 30 mins for the programs to initialize, set-up and repaired the boot camp).

The PC reboot a few times. After all that the PC re-start and happy ending 🙂. Thank you.

Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Sea Dara

One thing people miss when it comes to the Keyboard functions and Back-lit options is a simple task. " TASK MANAGER " ... many people faff about instilling the drivers again, changing the settings and looking for other drivers and software, when all it takes is a simple enable Bootcamp in the task manager. Yes, there are times when the drivers will need updating or a reset, but just type in Cortana search box TASK MANGER and take a look at what is going on there.

I spent hours looking for a solution, typing in google Keyboard not working Bootcamp and windows 10 ... I hope this saves people some time 🙂

Update to windows 10 pro can't increase or decrease keybaod light,brightness,mute,volume up,volume down,Help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.