Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing - Hiding content in iTunes Library & iBooks that was not purchased from iTunes/ iBooks

I just enabled Family Sharing. As the Organizer, I am wanting to fully understand hiding/ sharing content before I add all of my family members.

I'm confused about what content is and isn't able to be shared among family members, more specifically, non-ITunes/ iBooks-purchased media files and PDFs stored in iTunes and iBooks libraries.

I understand how to hide content that has been purchased from both the iTunes Store and the iBooks Store, but what I do not understand is whether media content and/or PDFs stored in iBooks on iOS devices that was NOT purchased from iTunes/ iBooks is also part of Family Sharing. I have some songs that are loaded from CDs and Web that I do not want to share with my family members, and they are in my iTunes library. Same goes for some work-related PDFs I have stored in my iBooks library (I don't want to share them via Family Sharing). My question is, how do I hide these items? If Family Sharing "Hide"/ "Show" settings only apply to purchased iContent, then I suppose I don't even need to "hide" these files.

Thank you. The latest update's changes have me reeling in confusion!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:03 PM

1 reply

Jul 29, 2015 11:27 PM in response to Lgrannis

PDFs and/or epubs are not included in family sharing, they will not show in the cloud for downloading by family members (nor will they show in the cloud for you to download, with or without family sharing) - they don't need hiding. Only ibooks form the iBookstore (whilst they remain in your country's store and you don't move countries) will show (unless you hide them : Hide and unhide purchases in the iTunes Store - Apple Support)

Similarly your own music (copied from CDs or bought from other sources) won't show

Family Sharing - Hiding content in iTunes Library & iBooks that was not purchased from iTunes/ iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.