Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

partitons

I have apple mac book air

I have just one query can i make 2 partitons for my external hard disk and use one partition for windows and the the other for mac. Will it be useful? Or the ExFat is a better option

???

MacBook Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 11:49 PM

1 reply

Jul 30, 2015 12:33 AM in response to snehasisrishav

Only you would be in a position to gauge the level of inconvenience of having two separate drive (partitions), each one only accessible be one respective OS. There are few downsides to using exFAT as a cross-compatible option where the inconvenience of 2 nonadjustable partitions might lead to a "waste" or "lack" of space situation. There is also security to consider, for a select few.

Once clear advantage of exFAT is for cross-compatible data (files that will be used on both systems).

Personally speaking, as drives and drive space are now so relatively cheap, it just comes down to a matter of convenience. But some have a belief (not completely unfounded), that Mac data should be on an encrypted drive using the Mac format, for security as well as journaled reliability, as well having Win-files on an NTFS formatted drive partition.

partitons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.