Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes on iPhone not updating Last Played field

I just got my first iPhone (it's a 6). I synced it with my Mac running iTunes 12.2.1.16. Everything seemed to go well... my music, playlists (and podcasts and photos) were downloaded. I played music all day on the iPhone, using some playlists I downloaded and also some Genius playlists I created on the fly after activating Genius. When I synced this evening, the "Last Played" date was updated for only a few songs. Some of my playlists are designed to pull songs I haven't heard recently, so not having the Last Played field correct is disappointing. Is there a setting I've missed? Anything else I can do to make sure a sync really is a sync?

I noticed iCloud downloaded all my iTunes store purchases, but I don't think that's the issue.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:45 PM

Update: I created a playlist called "Played Today". On the Mac, it showed 23 songs (wrong!). When I synced the playlist with the iPhone, the playlist on the iPhone showed 114 songs (sounds about right). In the list of songs, I notice that most have a little iPhone symbol in a triangle in the upper right hand corner, as in "it's only on the phone"??? Came from iCloud and not the sync? What?

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 9:45 PM in response to StaceyR

Update: I created a playlist called "Played Today". On the Mac, it showed 23 songs (wrong!). When I synced the playlist with the iPhone, the playlist on the iPhone showed 114 songs (sounds about right). In the list of songs, I notice that most have a little iPhone symbol in a triangle in the upper right hand corner, as in "it's only on the phone"??? Came from iCloud and not the sync? What?

User uploaded file

Jul 30, 2015 10:02 AM in response to StaceyR

Well, I figured out a workaround, but I think there may be a bug somewhere. One of the playlists I created on the Mac selected 1500 songs based on "least recently played". However, it did not copy correctly to the iPhone... the songs on the iPhone playlist were actually different than the one on the Mac, despite the fact that I have only one library with one set of Last Played dates. All the other playlists looked okay, but of course yesterday I was listening to the "least recently played" playlist. So, I created another smart playlist on the Mac that simply selected all the songs on the "least recently played" list and synced that one with the iPhone. That one copied correctly and, when I played a few songs on the iPhone and synced again, updated the "Last Played" date just fine. So, the iPhone does not like lists created on the Mac using the "least recently played" feature.

iTunes on iPhone not updating Last Played field

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.