Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloading scilab for mac air

i want to download scilab for my mac air(OS X Yosemite version10.10). The recommended version is 5.5.2. however on downloading i get a message to download java as well so that scilab could work. I downloaded java but it wont work. Please help.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 6:58 AM

There are two different Java distributions for end users: one from Apple, and one from Oracle. They don't overlap in function.

The Apple Java runtime (version 6) is needed to run bare jar files and older standalone Java applications. Newer Java applications have the Java runtime built in, and don't depend on Apple's Java.

The Oracle Java runtime (version 8 or later) is a web plugin only. It's used to run Java applets on web pages and Java WebStart applications. You can determine whether it's installed and up to date by looking for a preference pane named Java in System Preferences. If it's present, open it. It will launch the "Java Control Panel." Select the Update tab.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 6:58 AM in response to music_craze

There are two different Java distributions for end users: one from Apple, and one from Oracle. They don't overlap in function.

The Apple Java runtime (version 6) is needed to run bare jar files and older standalone Java applications. Newer Java applications have the Java runtime built in, and don't depend on Apple's Java.

The Oracle Java runtime (version 8 or later) is a web plugin only. It's used to run Java applets on web pages and Java WebStart applications. You can determine whether it's installed and up to date by looking for a preference pane named Java in System Preferences. If it's present, open it. It will launch the "Java Control Panel." Select the Update tab.

downloading scilab for mac air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.