Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled small amount of water on MacBook Pro

So today I spilled a tiny (less than a tablespoon) of water on my MacBook Pros keyboard. I immediately dried all the water with a paper towel and then powered off and went between the keys with a qtip. I put it in rice for a few minutes before I figured why bother(the rice was getting in crevices so I sprayed some dust destroyer on the keyboard to get rid of the rice and dampness), and now it's flipped over on a cotton towel. My bedroom is air conditioned and the air is blowing towards the laptop. I heard humidity is a no no so I'll keep my room cold until I'm told differently. My question, however, is how long should I let it lay upside down (I picked it up just now [30 min upside down] and checked the towel for any moisture and there was none. I shook it out once more, flipped the towel and laid it down [keyboard down]). Also, are there any preventative measures I can take to make sure I'm not screwed (or have I already made a mistake?). I read that rubbing alcohol helps with electronics but I don't want to take chances. Please reply!

And water damage is how my last laptop died so you think I woulda learned my lesson. Guess not...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:07 PM

8 replies

Jul 29, 2015 10:49 PM in response to ers8kmx763t

Well to start: if you have Apple Care this is covered and you should bring it in right away.

In the more likely scenario that you do not have Apple Care, I would say you are most likely ok. To be safe, I would back up the files on your computer but you did everything you should and if it was that little of an amount of water you are probably going to be ok.

Jul 30, 2015 4:02 AM in response to ers8kmx763t

Until you do switch it on and test it you will not know. And you have to do this in the end. After three or four days it should be dry enough with the steps you have taken but I wouldn't be too confident; the fact is that Water and electronics do not live happily together. Period.

If you live in the USA or GB, Apple care PLUS may offer some help.

Have you checked your household insurance policy?

Spilled small amount of water on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.