Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens to iPhoto when upgrading to OS X Yosemite

I have been hesitating upgrading to Yosemite because I know it is going to upgrade my iTunes, and I'm not a huge fan of the changes they've made. I've also heard that iPhoto will no longer be available. I have literally hundreds of photos and albums stored in iPhoto. What will happen to all my pictures and will I still be able to access them?

I'm starting to have quite a lot of issues being able to access websites that no longer support the Lion OS, so I'm guessing the upgrade is inevitable, but I'd like to be prepared before making the switch.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 10:21 AM

Nothing. You iPhoto Library is left alone as is iPhoto. However, you will need to have iPhoto 9.6.1 in order to use it with Yosemite. Photos will simply import your iPhoto Library.

2 replies

Oct 3, 2015 10:21 AM in response to ScubaJenn

It will remain in the Applications folder but be removed from the Dock, and will need to be updated for usage in Yosemite; to do so, click here and try following the instructions. Mac OS X 10.10.3 and newer include Photos.

Unless something goes wrong during the upgrade, youll be able to access your photos from either iPhoto(see above) or Photos. Back them as well as anything else youd like to keep up first.

(130979)

what happens to iPhoto when upgrading to OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.