Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use any A1728 battery in my 2010 13in Macbook Pro?

My battery has hit 1000 cycles and its condition has said "Replace Soon" for months. I am able to find an abundance of A1278 replacement batteries that are less expensive than bringing it to Apple and are both safe to use and warrantied, but I cannot find any that match the model identifier. What, if any, damage could I do to my computer if I replace it with another A1278 battery?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:31 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2015 10:42 PM in response to alwaysingreen

You cannot replace your battery with anything but a matching battery. If your model uses the A1278 battery, then that is what you need to buy. Apple is no longer in the battery business as far as I can tell. They no longer show them on their website. I think that means either you take your computer to an Apple Store for the battery or buy one from online vendors like Amazon.

Jul 29, 2015 10:55 PM in response to Kappy

Right, I knew that much. But the way it was explained to me is that there are several types of A1278 batteries and each one corresponds with a different version of the A1278 model based on a code specific to your version that is formatted as "M?---LL/A". For example, my model is MD101LL/A. While there are batteries that match other "M?---LL/A" numbers, there are none that match mine specifically. So, can I use one of these other A1278 batteries or do I have to use a A1278 MD101LL/A battery specifically?

Jul 29, 2015 11:18 PM in response to alwaysingreen

A1278 is not the battery identifier but the MBP model number. Based on the identifier you gave you do not have a 2010 13" MBP. You have a Mid-2012 model that has a model number of A1278. The battery is built-in meaning it is not user-replaceable. You must take it to an Apple Store where it will be sent off for a new battery at a flat-rate cost. I don't know what that is, exactly, but I'm guessing around $129.00, more or less.

I do not know if anyone offers a DIY battery replacement kit for your model, but I doubt it because those batteries are specially made for Apple.

Sorry for not providing this earlier, but it took me a while to find all the information for you.

Can I use any A1728 battery in my 2010 13in Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.