Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up from HDD

I backed up my iphone 4 on an ext HDD. When I try to restore it from the backup, the only back up available is a small backup on the computer. How do I choose to restore from the ext HDD?

This whole backup and restore terminology confuses me. I want to use the backup that I made so I can restore the phone to its pre-backup state.

The technician at the Apple store showed me that the only backup was on the HDD. I understood that I should restore the iphone to it's factory settings and then restore it from the back up. The backup IS on the HDD in the folder where I put it. I'd like to restore the phone to the state it was in before I made the backup. It is my understanding that all the apps that I had would return. Though the 13.5 GB phone said that there were only 500 MB available, the back up was only 1.6 GB. The technician said that is to be expected.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:01 PM

1 reply

Jul 29, 2015 11:12 PM in response to yashamax84

Restore your device from a backup

• Connect your device to the computer you normally sync with.
  • Click the device button, then click Summary
  • .User uploaded file
  • Click Restore Backup.If your backup is encrypted, iTunes asks you to enter the password before restoring your files and settings.

If you want to restore from a backup on an external disk, hold the Option key when you click the Restore iPhone/iPad/iPod button. This will bring up the file chooser to select a backup to restore from.

backing up from HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.