Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari FREZING when open a few tabs.

Hello ! I have Macbook early 2011 I am using 10.8.5 and Safari 6.2.7 ( I think this is the last version of the browser ) 2 months ago, start problems when I open a few TABS in the browser he start FREEZING .. and I have to close the browser but if I am watching something in youtube or listening on soundcloud (for example) I could still hear the sound ….. than I have to open activity monitor and close manually "Safari web content " …...

This problem started with an older versions of the safari. So the interesting thing is that this happened to my iMac (10.8.5) and my macbook in the same time ……

When I saw new version of the update list I was happy because I was think the this can solve the problem … but NOT …..

I am using now MOZILLA and CHROM I don't have this problem …. but I like to use SAFARI …. please help me …..

P.S. I DONT WANT TO UPGRADE OS !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 11:47 PM

11 replies

Jul 30, 2015 12:58 AM in response to BURLAKDJ

Never expect a newer software version to fix an existing problem.

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Aug 16, 2015 9:24 AM in response to BURLAKDJ

BURLAKDJ wrote:

Hello ! I have Macbook early 2011 I am using 10.8.5 and Safari 6.2.7 ( I think this is the last version of the browser ) 2 months ago, start problems when I open a few TABS in the browser he start FREEZING .. and I have to close the browser but if I am watching something in youtube or listening on soundcloud (for example) I could still hear the sound ….. than I have to open activity monitor and close manually "Safari web content " …...

This problem started with an older versions of the safari. So the interesting thing is that this happened to my iMac (10.8.5) and my macbook in the same time ……

When I saw new version of the update list I was happy because I was think the this can solve the problem … but NOT …..

I am using now MOZILLA and CHROM I don't have this problem …. but I like to use SAFARI …. please help me …..

P.S. I DONT WANT TO UPGRADE OS !!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't use top sites -- edit them all out -- Safari automatically adds frequently visited sites to top sites -- and it refreshes them -- so if you go into a site via a bookmark and top sites refresh that causes a slow down -- when you remove a top site it goes into a list of sites to never set as a top site -- if you reset Safari - top sites - it reloads a set of defaults -- if you don't tidy up top sites - all clearing the cache does is cause all that stuff to reload.

this does happen with Yosemite - according to posts seen here - so updating does not fix it.

I switched to OPERA - which is Chrome based.

Aug 17, 2015 5:54 AM in response to BURLAKDJ

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safari FREZING when open a few tabs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.