Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't stop backing up iPhone apps.

I manually sync my iPhone with my Mac and have been trying to save drive space on my MBP by preventing iTunes (12.2.1) from backing up the apps from my iPhone every time I sync, but I just can't get it to stop doing so. I've followed these steps numerous times already:

1) Going to the Apps section in iTunes and deleting all apps.

2) Checking ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications to make sure the .ipa files are deleted.

3) Deleting all device backups from iTunes preferences.

4) Resetting all dialog warnings from the advanced tab in preferences.

5) Re-checking the box that says "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" (which for some reason is automatically unchecked following step 4 above).

I then plug in my iPhone and on the summary page under "Manually Back Up and Restore" I click the "Back Up Now" button. I am then presented with a dialogue asking if I want to back up my apps, to which I click "Don't Back Up Apps".

That should be the end of it, except iTunes completely ignores my selection and begins backing up all the apps anyway. Am I missing something here?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:51 AM

There are no replies.

iTunes won't stop backing up iPhone apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.