Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drives - ethernet or USB?

My iMac 27" 2009 has Firewire 800 and USB 2 ports. Can't afford a new iMac with Thunderbolt/USB 3, but need additional storage for files/video/back-up etc.

Will get a new Mac in near future and want any HD to accommodate the better speeds. I'm thinking 4 bay NAS with USB 3/ethernet now.

Can I simply attach the NAS via ethernet to my iMac and use it as a stand alone drive or does it need to go via the router?

Keith

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 5:56 AM

Keith,

NAS technology is NOT supported by OS X so you are on your own if the thing does not work. I used Firewire 800 based EHDs on iMac and daisy chain them together. That has worked fine for years.

3 replies

Jul 30, 2015 6:32 AM in response to keith woolford

You can not just directly attach a NAS to a computer because it would not have an Ip address, subnet, etc..

What you can do is connect the NAS to a Ethernet port on your router and then you would be able to access it across your network.

Once hooked up to the router I suggest statically assigning the IP address to the drive and then mapping it on your Imac.

Hard Drives - ethernet or USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.