Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my apple iphone 5 saying that my charger and cable are illegal when they were bought from the apple i store and are completely legal. My original cable which has a broken wire is only cable that charges my phone and to do that I have to hold wire

How can i sort out an iphone 5 that refuses to charge and says illegal charger when it is NOT

iPhone 5, Windows 8

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 2:21 AM

6 replies

Jul 30, 2015 2:33 AM in response to roseeedes

I think the best solution is to take the cable and charger and go to the Apple Store, where you bought these accessories. Don't forget to take the receipt and explain the problem you have.

Before that, you can try restarting/resetting the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Jul 30, 2015 2:18 PM in response to roseeedes

I did try that already and it did not work. If I plug in the original cable that I got when I purchased the iphone (which has a broken red wire) and I hold the wire together it charges and that seems to be the only charger the phone accepts as a real iphone charger! I have also now noticed that if I leave the phone off the battery charges but does not hold the charge for long!

Why is my apple iphone 5 saying that my charger and cable are illegal when they were bought from the apple i store and are completely legal. My original cable which has a broken wire is only cable that charges my phone and to do that I have to hold wire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.