Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless network house suggestions

Hi folks. Hoping someone can help me out here.

My problem is I live in the middle floor of a very old building. It is a rental so I have no way of drilling through walls with ethernet cables, or of running cables along the ceiling or under the floor. I have my internet coming into the house through the Lounge but also need access in my office at the other side of the house. I have shown a drawing of my layout.

My internet comes in via a Virgin Media Superhub. I have set up a wireless network (network 1) from here which my laptop and phone connect to when in the lounge. This is hardwired into a Time Capsule. The time capsule has a second network settup (network 2). My apple TV, TIVO, Philips Hue basestation and Blu Ray player all connect into the internet hardwired at this point.

The blue circle in the drawing shows the limit of the wireless signal strength. I have therefore set up an airport basestation in the hall to 'extend the network'. A third airport basestation is set up in the office and I wanted to extend the first one all the way here but cannot find a way to daisy chain the networks.

I use the Philips Hue lighting system, and Belkins WEMO switches, as well as apple Airplay into some of the rooms. Since I moved home I cannot get the WEMO's to work, have no internet in the office and my airplay is sporadic.

What I am hoping for is some advice on how to set up the network! I would like one wireless network that everything connects flawlessly too, that extends as far as my office and is as fast as possible. I would like as few access points as possible as WEMO has difficulty when there is more than one. I would be eternally gratefully to anyone who can assist me and help guide me on setting this up. I am a complete amateur when it comes to networks.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 2:21 AM

2 replies

Jul 30, 2015 3:36 AM in response to ecossebear

You are in a kind of no win situation. Without being able to run ethernet and EOP adapters not working.. all you can do is boost wireless signal.

What internet broadband modem - router do you have??

Actual make and model will help.

The only way to get what you want is really high power wireless AP or router.. and Apple products do not fit that category.

I would like one wireless network that everything connects flawlessly

In the end this may not even be possible. But look at really high power units.

eg. outside wireless AP, from ubiquiti or TP-Link or various brands.. it must include a highly directional antenna.. so you can put it in to the corner of the lounge and cover the 90deg arc across the north & east wall.

eg.

Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC

Unifi AP AC Outdoor 802.11ac Access Point Dual Radio

I am not sure I would want to live in the same building though.

Wireless network house suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.