Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Code C1900101" when updating to Windows 10 on MBP

I have a Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013), on which I dual-boot between Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Last night I tried upgrading to Windows 10. The install spent an hour getting to 48%, then on one of the reboots it said it was unable to start Windows, so it undid the install and restored Windows 8.1. Windows Update History says that it encountered a "Code C1900101" error. I searched for that error, and it looks like C1900101 is a driver incompatibility.

Has anyone else successfully updated a Mac to Windows 10 yet? Do we need to wait for the Boot Camp drivers to be updated?

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 7:00 AM

16 replies

Jul 31, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the pointer! My setuperr.log is also empty, but setup act.log contains several "AudMig: Skipping driver InfPath recovery because it was already run before." and "AudMig: Applying saved Audio settings" lines, and these:

MigHost started with command line: {9031059F-790A-4208-AA92-A8F1EC0E0897} /InitDoneEvent:MigHost.{9031059F-790A-4208-AA92-A8F1EC0E0897}.Event /ParentPID:4384

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::Init: Successfully initialized surrogate.

MigHost: Initialized successfully with CLSID[{9031059F-790A-4208-AA92-A8F1EC0E0897}] and LogDir=[]

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadDllServer in progress: BinaryPath=[C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasS erver-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll], CLSID=[{D26AA4A5-92AD-48DB-8D59-95EF0DCE6939}], ApartmentThreadingModel=[0].

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: ThreadID=[0x1038], Server=[C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServe r-MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll], CLSID=[{D26AA4A5-92AD-48DB-8D59-95EF0DCE6939}], ApartmentThreadingModel=[0]

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: Loaded server(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer -MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll)

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext: Successfully loaded and registered server(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-RasServer -MigPlugin\RasMigPlugin.dll)

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: LoadAndRegisterServerInThreadContext() succeeded.

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::LoadDllServer finished: Result=[0x0].

MigHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0x1038].

MigHost: Exiting process.

I don't see anything unusual here, so I'll try again and pay closer attention to what happens. Also, I'll google those CLSIDs, as I see other people who see them during failed installation attempts.

Aug 2, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Loner T

Hmm. Not sure if I can follow your suggestion - everything works fine under Win 8.1; it's only during the Win 10 upgrade that (apparently) some driver gives the Mac indigestion and it needs to roll back to 8.1. I don't think I can boot the incomplete installation into Safe Mode.

If only there were a log file that was more specific about which driver was being installed when installation failed.

Aug 2, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Loner T

Important safety tip: Do not actually uninstall the Intel XHCI USB 3.0 driver, or you'll lose all keyboard and trackpad control and the only way to get control back is to hold the power button down to kill the laptop, then reboot and wait until Windows automatically reinstalls the driver. :-)

I disabled any USB drivers that I could disable (without uninstalling them), and I freed up a lot of disk space. Let's see if the fourth install attempt is the charm...

Aug 2, 2015 8:05 PM in response to Brian Kendig

No dice. :-(

I disabled the USB drivers that had the "Disable" menu option in Device Manager, I even unplugged the Thunderbolt Ethernet cable so that there was nothing but power connected to the laptop, then I tried to Win 10 install again. It reached 100% of "Installing Drivers" / 75% total completion, then it rebooted, and immediately told me "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "Diagnosing your PC".

I can't find anything to indicate what driver is giving it trouble. I let it roll back to Windows 8.1, and upon rebooting it again gave me error 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation".

Since I don't want to go ripping out every driver in Windows, I guess I'm stuck until Apple updates Boot Camp, until someone figures out what driver is at fault, or until Microsoft fixes the Windows 10 installation.

Aug 6, 2015 5:10 PM in response to Brian Kendig

I figured it out. Posted the answer to Reddit; copying it here:

Microsoft's page says that error 0x40017 is a driver problem, possibly USB. So I went into "Programs and Features" and uninstalled every hardware driver that I didn't think I absolutely needed. The drivers for SD Card Reader, USB Ethernet, ODD (optical disk drive), IR Receiver, any other hardware drivers that didn't look necessary during an install - I uninstalled them. Then I ran the Media Creation Tool and let it set up a USB flash drive for me (in case this didn't work - I didn't want to keep having to download several gigabytes each attempt), I ran the setup program from that, and this time everything worked - it survived the reboot at 75%, and finished the installation successfully!

Here's the odd thing. These drivers (in my case, Apple's "Boot Camp" drivers) all worked perfectly fine under Windows 8.1. They also work just fine under Windows 10, since I reinstalled them after the Windows 10 install completed. The only place where they caused a problem was during the Windows 10 install.

"Code C1900101" when updating to Windows 10 on MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.