Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery life draining fast on 8.4

Been to the apple store in London and they never heard of a problem with battery drain ( fast and hot) on my 5c after the 8.4 update. I shut down the calendar as it appeared to be constantly syncing with flashing grey dots. Shut down notifications, fetch manually only on mail, etc. and it still happens. Who has the magic fix? This is ridiculous! I loose about a percent a minute!

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 8:06 AM

18 replies

Jul 30, 2015 2:33 PM in response to liz264nh

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. My 5c was working fine until I updated to 8.4. and now the battery drains by itself in a matter of hours even if I haven't really used the phone. I have switched off all the background updates, switched to fetch for mail, turned down brightness... the phone is basically becoming unusable. I can't believe the Genius bar people said they'd never heard of this problem when there are loads of threads on the battery issue and ios 8.4 on this site and elsewhere on the web. Does anyone know if the next update is likely to fix this problem or is my phone now doomed? It's only 4 months since I had to have it replaced as the last 5c's camera stopped working... Joy.

Jul 30, 2015 4:03 PM in response to axel rodri

main pull usage is mail, all accounts but one totally wiped of any even on sent or trash, closed iCloud mail as feared was trying to pull even though all at fetch manual setting, all apps closed, no pages open on safari or Google , no histories being saved, at this point can't use it for anything. Have to hook up in car every time I am in there. Drains whenever on so mostly totally turned off when away from electric source. so very frustrating.

Aug 3, 2015 9:27 AM in response to liz264nh

It has happened to a small number of devices after the 8.4 upgrade. Just like it happened to a small number of devices after the 8.3 upgrade. And after the 8.2 upgrade. And after the 8.1, 8.0, 7.1.2, 7.1.1, 7.1, 7.0, 6.1.3, 6..1.2, 6.1, 6.0, 5.0.3, all the way back to 1.1 eight years ago. Sometimes the act of installing an upgrade will cause excessive battery drain to a small number of iOS devices. It doesn't matter which version is the target. Which means that every version ever released had had a battery bug. Or that the problem is not the specific version that you upgraded to. I vote for the 2nd explanation, as every time it has happened to me (3 times in 8 years) I was able to fix it by fixing the APP that was causing the problem. I had a battery drain problem last week, a couple of months after installing 8.4. And I fixed it by finding the app that was causing the problem and clearing it.

Battery drain problems occur randomly, continuously, as you can see by reading forum posts regularly. Some of them occur after an update, perhaps coincidentally. But you notice them more after an update because they stand out with a version number in the Subject of the post. If you assume the problem is with the version you will never get it fixed. You need to assume you have an app with a problem, find it, and fix it.

Aug 3, 2015 11:12 AM in response to oc12345

My device is having this problem, but I am not sure if it is because of the update or a need for a new battery. Since Friday or Saturday, the 5c seems to drain fairly quickly, even when the cellular data or wireless is not in use. This morning, I had it at 100%. After receiving a text message, it went down. Keep in mind, that data and wireless were off. I believe that it had went down to about 83%.

Yesterday, it went down from about 75% to 50 something percent in less than 30 minutes. Mine also has an issue that sometimes it will display the improper percentage, then if i reset it, it will show a higher percentage. Sometimes it might drain in 1-2 hours lately. Today, data and wireless may not have even been on since I saw it at 83%, and not it is at 69%. It keeps draining. There are no applications in use. It is just draining quickly by simply being powered on.

battery life draining fast on 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.