Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

edited photos show unedited in wallpaper

I have spent hours editing family photos and started using them as my wallpaper - changing each day.

Unfortunately, the unedited photos are what show up in the wallpaper/screen savers.

How do I get the edited version to show up?

Thank you

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 1:46 PM

thank you - I didn't say I wanted destructive editing. I said I didn't understand why the edits weren't used in the important ways you would use an edited photo. I may not want to throw my negatives away but I certainly don't show those to folks when I'm trying to show them the photos.

In trying to deduce your solve on this - export all of my library into another library so only the edited photos are visible as wallpaper and in slide shows?

It just seems like there would be an easier and less redundant way to do this.

That's all I was after.

Thank you for your time and thoughtful suggestions.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 1:46 PM in response to LarryHN

thank you - I didn't say I wanted destructive editing. I said I didn't understand why the edits weren't used in the important ways you would use an edited photo. I may not want to throw my negatives away but I certainly don't show those to folks when I'm trying to show them the photos.

In trying to deduce your solve on this - export all of my library into another library so only the edited photos are visible as wallpaper and in slide shows?

It just seems like there would be an easier and less redundant way to do this.

That's all I was after.

Thank you for your time and thoughtful suggestions.

Jul 31, 2015 1:22 PM in response to macinoregon

Why does iPhoto save the original - because that is the correct way to do things - you do not destroy you negatives after you print a photo and you certainly do not destroy your original (the digital negative) after you edit it

iPhoto uses lossless editing and the edits are not applied to the photo but record in a database - when you need the edited photos these edits are applies to the original so you are never more than one step form the original no matter how many edits you make

If you want destructive editing then use different software - there is lots out there including PhotoShop Elements for example

LN

Jul 31, 2015 3:52 PM in response to macinoregon

All that's happened is that your ;library has some minor corruption

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

edited photos show unedited in wallpaper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.