Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zeros

I have a number of spreadsheets with pre formatted calculations (Example: qty x unit price = total) these are repeated in several rows. Until I enter the qty and the formula is executed, all the rows have a "zero" in the calc' result. How do I get the cell to be blank instead of showing the zero? In Excel there is a preference you can select that will hide the zeros. I cannot find anything like this in Numbers. Is this possible to accomplish?

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 6:41 AM

typically,

If there is a cell used as input (let's say A1) that is used in a formula in another cell (let's say A2)

then you can make A2 remain blank until there is a value in cell A1 like this:

A2=if(A1="", "", <some calculation>)

this is shorthand that indicates that cell A1 contains the formula:

=if(A1="", "", <some calculation>)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Scott Leverenz

typically,

If there is a cell used as input (let's say A1) that is used in a formula in another cell (let's say A2)

then you can make A2 remain blank until there is a value in cell A1 like this:

A2=if(A1="", "", <some calculation>)

this is shorthand that indicates that cell A1 contains the formula:

=if(A1="", "", <some calculation>)

Jul 30, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Scott Leverenz

If you don't want to change your formulas and want to "hide" zeros more-or-less Excel style you could try Conditional Highlighting.

Select the cells where you want to hide zeros.

User uploaded file

Click 'Conditional Highlighting'

User uploaded file

Add a rule and scroll down to Custom Style:

User uploaded file

Set opacity to 0 after clicking the color "globe" or whatever it's called"

User uploaded file

Result:

User uploaded file

SG

Jul 30, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Hi Wayne,

Compute time might be a factor in Numbers. I don't use it for large datasets so I'm not really sure about that. I don't notice much of a difference one way or the other in Excel.

I think I'd prefer the IF solution if the formulas are not already set up, since (for me) Conditional Highlighting in Numbers seems more involved than simply setting up a Custom Format in Excel (which is different from Conditional Formatting in Excel, of course).

But Conditional Highlighting in Numbers can save some work if the formulas already exist and one doesn't want to go in and change them.

SG

Jul 30, 2015 9:12 AM in response to SGIII

This got me thinking. It turns out that in Numbers it's easy to set up a Custom Format just as in Excel. No Conditional Highlighting needed.

Select the cells and choose 'Create Custom Format...':

User uploaded file

Choose 'Add a Rule':

User uploaded file

In the Rule choose 'If equal to' and 0, and clear out the format box beneath it so nothing is displayed.

User uploaded file

Or, if wanted, put a - or whatever in the box, to give something like this:

User uploaded file

This is likely to be less overhead than IF in formulas or Conditional Highlighting. May be the best solution in many situations.

SG

Zeros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.