Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way in Preview to darken the type of old faded documents?

I have a number of old documents that were microfilmed in the early days of microfilm cameras that have become somewhat faded over time, some worse than others. Is there any way that anyone knows about that they can be even slightly restored to better readability inexpensively?

I know there are a number of digital editing programs our there that purport to be able to do this but on my severely limited retirement income that is not even a close consideration and I have as yet discovered one of the lesser expensive one that can do the job without graying (colorizing) the background at the same time and not way to remove that darkened background. I am basically hoping that there is a way in Preview but will be taking this same question to Adobe Reader as well. If I remember right, several years ago I was advised by them that I would have to purchase the full Adobe Acrobat to be able to Darken something but that would then still leave it in the dark background state so that was no better than less expensive digital manipulations.

Sparkgapper

p.s. this is the only place I could find to post this questions as there is no Preview (application) community or anything similar.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), DualBoot with Snow Leopard

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 7:02 AM

Hey Sparkgapper,

I see that you would like to know more about the editing tools available to you in Preview on your Mac. Here is an article that will explain some of those tools that are relevant to your question:

Adjust color

Click Adjust Color button User uploaded file to open the Adjust Color window. From here you can control image levels, tint, exposure, contrast and more..

User uploaded file

For instant white point adjustments, click the eyedropper tool User uploaded file and then click a neutral grey or white area of your image. Click the Auto Levels button to quickly improve image exposure and contrast.

Mac Basics: Preview app views and edits images and PDFs - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201740

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2015 7:02 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Hey Sparkgapper,

I see that you would like to know more about the editing tools available to you in Preview on your Mac. Here is an article that will explain some of those tools that are relevant to your question:

Adjust color

Click Adjust Color button User uploaded file to open the Adjust Color window. From here you can control image levels, tint, exposure, contrast and more..

User uploaded file

For instant white point adjustments, click the eyedropper tool User uploaded file and then click a neutral grey or white area of your image. Click the Auto Levels button to quickly improve image exposure and contrast.

Mac Basics: Preview app views and edits images and PDFs - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201740

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

Is there any way in Preview to darken the type of old faded documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.