Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari rendering problem (overlarge text)

Hi

On many websites, including Facebook.com and even this Apple support site, my Safari is rendering certain text sections much larger than they should be, causing the sites to look very strange or sometimes unreadable. It only happens in my Safari on Yosemite, not in any of the iPad or iPhones, and not in my Yosemite based Chrome.

Could someone please suggest which settings might be responsible for this? I already have the view set to actual size. After experimenting with "Zoom text only" I noticed that some text sections zoom, while others don't (or not so much). For example on Facebook.com the left column text seems to expand more than the main column text. Hopefully that is a clue to the solution.

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 7:51 AM

7 replies

Jul 31, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Linc Davis

Here are four screenshots which hopefully make the issue clear, and thanks for explaining how to add them!

The first site (one of mine) shows the issue most clearly, but I've included Facebook shots too so you can see it's not an HTML coding issue. Note in particular that Safari on the iOS devices renders these sites correctly, so I'm sure it's a problem with my Yosemite setup, however a colleague is experiencing the same issue so it's not just me, and I'd like to workout how many users are likely to experience my site messed up in this way:

PIBULJ.com in my Yosemite Safari:

User uploaded file

PIBULJ.com in Chrome (and everything else, as it should look):

User uploaded file

Facebook.com left sidebar in my Yosemite Safari:

User uploaded file

Facebook.com left sidebar in Chrome (and everything else, as it should look):

User uploaded file

Aug 24, 2015 2:58 AM in response to garry232uk

A solution I have done was enable developer tools in advanced settings. I then render these problem sites in Safari 7 mode and it fixed a lot of problems with rendering. I found several sites that Safari 8 when I signed in would not display the comment section of a page. Then I used developer mode and rendered in a older Safari version and they comment section came back. Gee, I felt like I was back using Internet Explorer trying to figure out how to display a web page. Does Safari need Compatibility view now? Not really Safari that's the problem but for the end user that is the perception.

Safari rendering problem (overlarge text)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.