Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a macbook without the battery in place?

MY MacBook Pro is in the repair shop. I have an older MacBook, but the battery is severely swollen and non-functioning. Can I use it without the battery in place at least for a short period of time without damaging it? I've read conflicting statements about using it that way. New battery for it is already ordered. Why are the new batteries so cheap these days? When I bought the swollen battery about five or more years ago, it was over $100. Now I just bought one for $17, shipping included. What gives?

pjcaver

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 8:51 AM

11 replies

Jul 30, 2015 9:39 AM in response to pjcaver

Yes, it can be used without the battery.

You posted to the wrong forum area. This is one is for the new 12" MacBook 2015. It's battery is not user removable.

I'm surprised that a new battery is only $17, you should verify that you've purchased a new battery, not used, and that it meets Apple's specifications.

Even this 3rd party replacement battery is $79.95

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Battery/IF186-009-1

I would recommend buying it directly from Apple. Only their batteries have the addition proprietary hardware that allows the end of charge warnings to work properly.

Jul 30, 2015 1:32 PM in response to pjcaver

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Once again, it seems that there are different responses to my question about NOT using a battery. As I said, I ordered a replacement battery and yes, it was only $17. However, as to the concept that an Apple battery would be better, the battery I removed today is an Apple replacement battery and it puffed up so much that it nearly exploded. In fact, the expansion of it was affecting the touch pad directly above it to the point of causing all sorts of problems in making it work AT ALL. Trying to go to websites by hitting the button below the keypad led to all sorts of very strange events, none of which was the one I intended for it to do. As such, I'm not a big fan of the Apple battery as it essentially failed miserably as far as I am concerned. In addition, I don't use the old MacBook for anything other than Spotify or Netflix connections in my studio while I work. My MacBook Pro is currently in the repair shop and I brought in the MacBook as a simple backup computer for e-mail and such, not for serious work on photography or other instructional things.

I went to Amazon to buy the battery. They were nearly ALL around that price. Even the Apple branded one was around $45 or so. Perhaps it's an outdated battery and they don't command such a high price anymore because no one is using them any longer. Again, this a temporary stopgap measure and all I really wanted to know was if it was safe to use the computer without the battery. Perhaps I'll just take Mac holiday until I get my MB Pro back fully repaired.

pjcaver

Jul 30, 2015 1:38 PM in response to pjcaver

Amazon do not sell genuine Apple batteries (unless they are used)

OWC and Anker make decent replacements for Apple batteries, but $17 they are not. Post back after 9 months, let us know how it goes. (if it does't make it to 9 months you can post earlier)

But is is safe to operate your Mac portable without a battery, it just may seem slower than usual.

Can I use a macbook without the battery in place?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.