Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my devices are unable to stay connected to wifi via airport/time capsule

We have Macs, PCs and iPhones, all of which are having trouble staying connected to the network, a couple can't currently find it at all. I have tried renewing the DHCP lease. It is in "Bidge Mode" to be compatible with our modem. The green light is steady, but the connectivity is spotty at best. I even moved the TC to have direct line of sight to my MacBook (about 6 yards away)

Airport utility version 6.3.5

Time Capsule: 1TB, vers 7.6.4

MacBook Pro (Retina 13" late 2012) running 10.10.4

How can I ensure the devices find and stay connected to the wi-fi signal?

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:37 AM

A 3rd Gen Time Capsule would indicate that your product is at least 4 years old and depending on when you bought it, as much as almost 6.

Based on a number of years of forum experience with these products, including the model that you have, the useful life....on average.....of the earlier generation Time Capsules is about 3 years.

One of the symptoms of a Time Capsule power supply which is starting to head downhill is that the wireless radio will start to have intermittent drops, which will continue to occur more and more frequently.

At this point, as a kind of last gasp measure, I would recommend that you reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again. You won't lose any of the data on the hard drive if you do this, and you can use the same wireless name and passwords that you used before if you wish.

If you continue to see wireless service drops after you do this, the evidence is pretty clear that you will need to replace the Time Capsule as your wireless router. When you do this, you can keep the Time Capsule on the network, turn off the wireless, and simply use the Time Capsule as a wired hard drive until it fails.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 9:37 AM in response to customwoodworx

A 3rd Gen Time Capsule would indicate that your product is at least 4 years old and depending on when you bought it, as much as almost 6.

Based on a number of years of forum experience with these products, including the model that you have, the useful life....on average.....of the earlier generation Time Capsules is about 3 years.

One of the symptoms of a Time Capsule power supply which is starting to head downhill is that the wireless radio will start to have intermittent drops, which will continue to occur more and more frequently.

At this point, as a kind of last gasp measure, I would recommend that you reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again. You won't lose any of the data on the hard drive if you do this, and you can use the same wireless name and passwords that you used before if you wish.

If you continue to see wireless service drops after you do this, the evidence is pretty clear that you will need to replace the Time Capsule as your wireless router. When you do this, you can keep the Time Capsule on the network, turn off the wireless, and simply use the Time Capsule as a wired hard drive until it fails.

my devices are unable to stay connected to wifi via airport/time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.