Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen upgrading to Windows 10

Hi there,

So I thought I'd try and upgrade Windows 8.1 on my boot camp partition to Windows 10. I had the upgrade reserved, but it wasn't doing anything and I'm impatient so I downloaded the updater from the MS site and ran it from Windows 8.

It rebooted a couple of times and went through different stages, with a large circle showing percentage complete in the middle of the screen, then eventually rebooted a final time and stalled at an empty black screen (some people seem to be reporting black screens with a mouse pointer, this isn't that). After it did nothing for ages I've tried powering it off and back on again and nothing changes - it boots up, I get a small circle of dots then an empty black screen.

Booting back to OS X I can see the partition in the finder and all my stuff is still there, but if I run the boot camp assistant it tells me it can't restore the whole hard drive to OS X as there isn't a windows partition in place.

I'm on a brand new 15" MBP from the refresh a couple of months back.

Um... Help?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:15 AM

OK, well that's one of the oddest errors I've ever seen.

I saw another forum where people were reporting Windows 10 incorrectly detecting a multi-display setup, so I unplugged everything from my MacBook with the intention of hooking up to my TV to see if that would show me a log in screen. As I pulled out the magsafe cord, Windows appeared!

So I finished the installation and Windows was working, but every time I plugged it in the screen would go off. Very strange! It turned out that Parallels had created it's own power settings (I also use this partition virtualised). They display in Control Panel Power Options as never turning the screen off, but in practice it goes off immediately whenever the machine's on power! I switched to the windows default 'Balanced' power plan, and now it works fine.

Weird!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 9:15 AM in response to James Clayton

OK, well that's one of the oddest errors I've ever seen.

I saw another forum where people were reporting Windows 10 incorrectly detecting a multi-display setup, so I unplugged everything from my MacBook with the intention of hooking up to my TV to see if that would show me a log in screen. As I pulled out the magsafe cord, Windows appeared!

So I finished the installation and Windows was working, but every time I plugged it in the screen would go off. Very strange! It turned out that Parallels had created it's own power settings (I also use this partition virtualised). They display in Control Panel Power Options as never turning the screen off, but in practice it goes off immediately whenever the machine's on power! I switched to the windows default 'Balanced' power plan, and now it works fine.

Weird!

Black screen upgrading to Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.