Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HowTo organize PDF library

Hello,

for my studies I have some 9000 books and papers as PDFs organized neatly on my PCs. Now I would like to carry around the iPad Air 2 I just bought instead of one of my notebooks to university. How do I manage to get the PDFs to the iPad without losing the information provided by the folder structure (maths folder, computer science folder, 100+ sub folders for the fields...)?

I thought I should be able to simply copy the literature folder with all its sub folders as I do in both Windows and Linux or download it via FTP but does not seem that easy?

thx for any help in advance

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 10:11 AM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2015 11:46 AM in response to itteerde

I'd look into goodreader. I have not used the app. It gets good reviews. For 0.99, try it out.

GoodReader

-- With GoodReader on your iPad/iPhone, you can read virtually anything, anywhere: books, movies, maps, pictures.

-- sync with Dropbox, OneDrive, SugarSync and any WebDAV, AFP, SMB, FTP or SFTP server

-- The types of annotations that can be created and edited in GoodReader include typewriter text boxes, popup comments ("sticky notes"), text highlights, freehand drawings, lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals, cloudy shapes, text underlines, strikeouts, text insertion marks.

http://www.goodiware.com/

GoodReader does have folders. You can send and ask the goodreader folks. Look under support.

http://www.goodreader.com/

dropbox.com does import your folders. I use a symbolic link in the dropbox folder to "include" other folders in the dropbox folder. Fortunately/unfortunately, it keeps the updates to folders in cronological order. That is when you add a new pdf to a folder. You will see it in date order. Didn't see an option to change this.

Jul 31, 2015 10:30 AM in response to itteerde

Your talking about Goodreader. Does your computer have wifi? Use some other way off copying the docs. Dropbox doesn't need wifi. Dropbox will be the easiest. computer > dropbox > Goodreader. Setting up ftp is so so. Figuring out which ftp server software you need & figuring out how to point to the folders you need will be the challenges.

Try dropbox & see if it is enough to serve your needs.

HowTo organize PDF library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.