Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song will not sync to ipod after iOS 8.4 update?

I have a iPod 5th generation 64 GB to which I updated to iOS 8.4 a while back, and I now can't sync a song to my music. It is in my library, but won't sync to my iPod. It syncs other changes though, such as for the album artwork or apps. I looked up and found that people are having the same issue, so I want to know is there any way to fix it?

Any help is much appreciated. 🙂

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 8:54 AM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2015 10:59 AM in response to SweetlyCanada

SOLVED MY SYNCING PROBLEM and LOST ARTWORK also MISSING PLAYLIST SONGS:

After updating my iPod touch to IOS 8.4 all my album artwork was gone. Syncing the iPod to iTunes did not restore the artwork to the iPod and new music was not transferred. Also updated iTunes to 12.2.4 at the same time. After the iTunes update, one of my playlists (which took many hours to create) was in the list, but the songs were gone.

I have not enabled iCloud or Apple Music.

Very unhappy with Apple for causing me to go through all this to fix multiple problems with my iPod Touch 5th gen and iTunes software (which I expect to be compatible) resulting from Apple software updates which appear to have been released mainly to promote and enable the Apple Music service at the expense of usability of my existing music library. Decided to write this up hoping it would help anyone else who has experienced these problems. Have been using Apple computers since the late 80's and IPods since they came out and have come to expect them to "just work", but am wondering if that is a thing of the past after this experience.

Here is what worked for me after much research and trial and error and a non-productive call to Apple Care:

>>> Getting Sync to work and restoring artwork:

1. iTunes > Preferences > General > Uncheck Show Apple Music
  2. Performed the Two Button Reset (Hold the top button and the round button at the same time until the iPod restarts and shows the Apple logo. (This may not be necessary, but won't hurt anything.)
  3. Deleted all songs from the iPod: Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage > Music > Edit. Click minus sign in circle next to "All Songs" text, then press delete to remove songs from iPod, (I tried syncing without deleting songs from iPod but that did not work).
  4. Sync iPod with iTunes (I did this while signed into iTunes account in - not sure if that is required, but Activity Monitor showed data was being downloaded by iTunes at the beginning of the sync). Sync took around 4.5 hours because the 6,500 songs in my iTunes library are ripped from CDs in Apple Lossless format and my sync options are set to convert higher bit rate songs are to 192 kbps.

After this procedure, my iPod music artwork was restored as well as recently added music from iTunes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Restoring lost playlist songs and recently added music to iTunes (this happened after updating to iTunes 12.2.4)

Used procedure from::https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6561

This text is from the very well written and helpful article at the above link with a few additions by me for clarity:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash

1. With iTunes 12.2 or later it may pay to turn off iCloud Music Library and Apple Music before attempting to restore an older copy of your database as shown below. These options can be found under iTunes > Preferences > General (Mac OS X). (I have not enabled iCloud, so there was no option to turn it off on my devices.)
  2. In the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (inside your main iTunes library folder) there should be a number of dated iTunes Library files. Take the most recent of these and copy it into the iTunes folder. Rename existing iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library (Corrupt).itl and then rename the copied file as iTunes Library.itl. Start iTunes. iTunes should now show all your content, bar any recent additions to or deletions from your library. (Before doing this, make note of any recently added music by artist name & album name so you can find them to restore in step 3.)
  3. After this, you can use File > Add folder to Library and choose the iTunes Media folder to add in any new media added since the backup was made.
  4. Sync iPod with iTunes again to restore the lost playlist songs and recently added songs.

Song will not sync to ipod after iOS 8.4 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.