Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.2.1.16 The song titles disappear when selecting tracks in Artist or Album view and only return if you right click and uncheck selections????

Just upgraded a few days ago to 12.2.1.16. I have been having a lot of problems.

If I highlight an album by clicking on it, then right click and select the "Check Selection" option, album track titles will begin to disappear as I select individual tracks within the album. The only way the track titles will return is to right click on the album art and select "Uncheck Selection" and all the track titles return.

Another problem is the order in which artist names are sorting in "Artist View". Artist with the same first name are sorted incorrectly by first name only, so the order they appear in the column on the left is not correct [example: John Mayall, then John Coltrane, then John Lennon, then John Fogerty...etc.]. If you switch to Album View, the sorting is correct.

Oh yeah, I need to mention ITunes keeps locking up. If I select an album, then right click on "Get Info" and make a change and click "OK" ITunes will lock up and "Task Manager" will show that ITunes is "Not Responding" I have been working with Apple Tech Support and have tried a fresh re-install but this does not fix my issues.

My computer is a new [4 days old] 4th gen Intel I5 based system running an Asus 97 - Pro motherboard with 16gb of ram. The O.S. is Windows 8.1.

Windows 8

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:47 AM

33 replies

Sep 3, 2015 7:10 AM in response to chambola

I have the exact same problem. If I click on an individual song of a RECENTLY manually uploaded album, the song titles disappear. If I choose Get Info for the entire album, the titles temporarily reappear. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I manually upload my albums from CDs so that I can make use of the Apple Lossless format. After uploading the album, I import the album artwork from google images. I usually choose 500 x 500 pixel photos.

It only happens when I view "Most Recent" albums. The problem resolves if I click on the music icon (the one that looks like two joined notes that is just under the "file" menu.

Sep 3, 2015 7:52 AM in response to rosenbach

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

Jan 3, 2016 5:24 AM in response to chambola

Troubleshooting pages do not help, turingtest. I do thank you for your help, but this is an Apple issue, not a user issue. I also am having the same issue. I click on an album within itunes and the songs disappear. When I click another album, the songs reappear but disappear for that album I just clicked on. I am planning on going back to itunes 10 because 11 and 12 have problems that Apple still has not fixed. I am on Windows 10 and my graphics card is not the issue either. It is fully updated and every other software works great with no graphics issues. Also, with itunes 12, when I minimize itunes, it maximizes on its own. Another issue that is an Apple problem, not mine. I do hope they get this sorted out, but 10 seems to be my best bet for now until then, which I just don't have confidence that it will be fixed. Thank you for your help, turingtest. I appreciate all your help.

Jan 30, 2016 3:15 AM in response to philamer

This is an odd symptom that I have never seen myself. Without further information on a possible mechanism I'd still recommend a complete tear down of all Apple Software followed by a reinstall. I cannot guarantee it will fix the problem, but it is the standard troubleshooting approach when a software package behaves in an unexpected fashion that isn't clearly repeatable for all users.

tt2

Jan 30, 2016 6:21 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I understand uninstall/reinstall would be the best bet. I actually downloaded a copy of the newest release and have been holding off in uninstalling but I think I will give it a go. I think you understand what is going on, but I will provide a screenshot so you can see for yourself. It's weird to say the least. But nothing amazes me these days with any OS. Be it Microsoft, Google, Apple, or whoever. It just seems like developers are not putting their hearts into it anymore like they used to. I don't know. Maybe it's just me seeing this trend. Maybe I'm paranoid LOL What I did was right clicked on the album art to the left, then the text disappeared. And when I click anywhere in the seemingly blank portion of the screen, it will show one of the songs highlighted. It's as if that one song is the only song in the album. No other songs show. Very weird. And in response to the other person above you, it has been like this for several releases. If Apple hasn't fixed it by now, it's not going to be addressed. Trust me. One other issue I have is still persistent. That issue is when I minimize iTunes, to surf the web or look at facebook or do whatever, iTunes will Maximize itself on its own. Nothing is playing. Nothing is downloading. iTunes is idle and not doing a thing. I don't know why it does this. But so far, I have stopped it from doing that by adding an iTunes Toolbar in the task tray. It stays put when I minimize and will not maximize any longer. But, it shouldn't do this at all. Out of every single program or app I have, only iTunes is giving me trouble.

User uploaded file

Jan 31, 2016 6:10 AM in response to turingtest2

I checked the views that I have and color scheme and everything was default. Now I changed the artists color scheme to no color scheme to see if that fixed anything, but it didn't. I will just have to reinstall iTunes to see if that fixes everything. Hope it does. I will probably do it within the next few days. I will let you know if it worked.

Jan 31, 2016 5:26 PM in response to aggressivility

Ok. Uninstalled everything Apple, then did a clean install. Even went through properties first to change the settings to compatibility for Windows 7, and open as administrator. Then marked the same settings in the exe file before opening. No dice. It opened up, and everything was there. All my albums. All my settings remained the same. It didn't even ask me to scan my computer for audio files like it does on a fresh install. I checked all the folders and settings before reinstalling and there was nothing Apple on my system. What Apple needs to do is come out with a complete uninstall tool that removes registry entries, residual files, hidden files and folders, etc., so we can install clean versions of the software. I don't know what to do. And I don't want to go into my registry and start deleting everything Apple. That will take forever. Not to mention, I would have to do a keyword for bonjour, itunes, apple, etc. I will just take this as an Apple bug that they refuse to fix because they only care about Apple customers with Apple products. They can care less about Microsoft users and so they will never fix this program at all. We will have to suffer. Well, thankfully, we don't have to. There are other, working programs that work extremely well and much better than iTunes. Like MediaMonkey for one. The only drawback is you cannot watch your movies that you have backed up on any other software except iTunes, which *****. I guess we will just have to live with disappointment. Or sell a kidney and buy a Mac.

Feb 6, 2016 5:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes I ran the installer as administrator. There's no reason why this version, the one from the website, shouldn't work on my computer. I believe this was an issue tthat was also present with Windows 8.1. I do have older versions of Windows, when it last worked correctly, I think I'll just uninstall and go back to a previous version. I'd rather have an updated version but I have to go with what works right? Hopefully Apple will read some of these forums and finally come out with a fix. As it stands, I also use a third party app that seems to work very well, if not better than iTunes at the moment. I'd rather go through iTunes though.

Feb 6, 2016 6:33 AM in response to aggressivility

Apple don't read these boards looking for problems that need fixing. Try the Contact Support link here: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/itunes/

As I've possibly mentioned your symptoms are atypical. The "for older video cards" release is similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes for Windows up to 12.1, i.e. a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit core application. In some cases users who have had issues with the main release have found this alternate version works correctly for them. It might not help, but either way finding out is another piece of information about the problem.

tt2

Itunes 12.2.1.16 The song titles disappear when selecting tracks in Artist or Album view and only return if you right click and uncheck selections????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.