Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match requires iPhone OS upgrade that requires transfer of purchases that won't work

I recently subscribed to iTunes Match. Apparently I need to upgrade my 5S iphone from iOS7.0.6 to 8.4 in order to use Match. When I try to do that, iTunes informs me that I must first transfer purchases from the iPhone to my computer or I will lose them. When I try to do this only some of my iTunes purchases transfer so I don't continue the upgrade. How can I proceed with the upgrade so I can use Match without losing music I've already purchased on iTunes over the years? Once I upgrade the iOS, will I also have to upgrade my iTunes? I have iTunes version 11.2.2.3

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 7:27 PM

Hello,

To start, you don't need to upgrade to iOS 8.4 in order to use iTunes Match. And to answer your last question, iTunes Match is still compatible with Safari 10.8.6 so you don't need to upgrade your version of 11.2.2.3. However, iOS 8.4 offers a nice music interface and I always recommend updating to the most current software. As for your iTunes purchases, they are always available to download so this should not prevent you from updating to 8.4. I advise proceeding with the update of iOS 8.4 and you can download your iTunes purchases after to your home computer and update your iTunes Match after thereby sending those purchases to your cloud. You can also download past purchases to your iOS device via the iTunes Store>Purchases. As a new user of iTunes Match, should you encounter any other issues, this forum should assist you accordingly. Best of luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 7:27 PM in response to walterg1

Hello,

To start, you don't need to upgrade to iOS 8.4 in order to use iTunes Match. And to answer your last question, iTunes Match is still compatible with Safari 10.8.6 so you don't need to upgrade your version of 11.2.2.3. However, iOS 8.4 offers a nice music interface and I always recommend updating to the most current software. As for your iTunes purchases, they are always available to download so this should not prevent you from updating to 8.4. I advise proceeding with the update of iOS 8.4 and you can download your iTunes purchases after to your home computer and update your iTunes Match after thereby sending those purchases to your cloud. You can also download past purchases to your iOS device via the iTunes Store>Purchases. As a new user of iTunes Match, should you encounter any other issues, this forum should assist you accordingly. Best of luck.

Aug 10, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Brskiz

Thank you. Very helpful. I did install iTunes Match without doing all the upgrades first. But all the music that I had loaded onto my laptop (a PC) myself from CDs seems to have disappeared, It was a lot of music and I'm hoping that it's still up in the cloud somewhere--it certainly isn't on my computer or iphone anymore. Thoughts?

Also, (and perhaps relatedly?) I get an error message from iTunes that says "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes."

I don't think I installed other CD burning software but it's possible that I did I guess.

My final problem is that I still haven't figured out how to delete iTunes tracks from my laptop that are typed as "Protected AAC" in such a way that they download as "Purchased AAC" so I can play them via Sonos. I understand, though, that this should be straightforward to do.

iTunes Match requires iPhone OS upgrade that requires transfer of purchases that won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.