Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages restored from Time Machine in Library but not accessible from within MAIL

I have recently restored from Time Machine some important Mailboxes/messages, and I can navigate, with some difficulty, through Users/Me/Library/Mail/... to find the messages, but I can find no way to get them back in a Mailbox shown on the sidebar of MAIL, that is, to get the On My Mac Mailbox working as it did before the loss and restoration. If I can fix this problem for that mailbox, then I can possibly retrieve a number of other messages that have suffered the same fate.

Hope somebody can talk me through this.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 11:11 AM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks so much for this, Eric. Rebuilding didn't seem to do anything, though one aspect of the latest version of Mail I have is that it doesn't have spinning things showing you whether it's doing anything or not. But then I re-indexed, and at least for the mailboxes I had managed to restore into the Library files, your suggestion worked like a charm.

There are still missing emails from the bulk restoration, but I see now that best for those is to find them explicitly within Time Machine and restore them individually, THEN do the re-indexing again.

This was very helpful!

Messages restored from Time Machine in Library but not accessible from within MAIL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.