Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVI Port Adapter Question on a 2009 Mac Pro

Recently my company switched out desktops for operational purposes. I was tasked to re-purpose a 2009 Mac Pro tower for simple video cue playback.

I found a single-link DVI to VGA adapter, and plugged it into the DVI port with a VGA cable going into the video input. I was not able to get a display out of the Mac. I tried with another MiniDisplay to VGA adapter, and it works fine. However for operational reasons I cannot use that adapter.

I read the manual again, and it did state that connecting to either port should work: (Page 13)

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA914/en_US/Mac_Pro_Early2009_4707_UG.p df

As I am not able to gain access to parts easily, unfortunately I have no other adapters to test with.

What is the problem here? I can only assume that a single-link DVI connector would be enough for converting video signal into an analog VGA output. Is the adapter not suitable, or is there somewhere in software settings that I need to adjust (switching display port on the GT120 card, etc.)?

The Mac Pro in question is a 2009 version with a GT120 card that has a MiniDisplay port and a DVI port. The OSX version is the very old 10.4.x that is unlikely to get upgraded in the near future, nor does it have internet access of any sort...

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9), Company computer

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:32 PM

9 replies

Jul 30, 2015 3:21 PM in response to tsuen

A so-called "VGA adapter" from DVI has NO electronics, and is NOT a converter. All the signals required for VGA are available on the DVI-I connector, and those signals should be produced by your Display card:

User uploaded file

Graphic from wikipedia.com

They are the bar and the four pins around it at one end of the connector, plus a few pins from the top row adjacent (Salmon Pink in the diagram). The diagram can be displayed a little larger if you click on it.

But -- you can not "stack" adapters. Attach a DVI cable directly to the computer port, and the VGA signals will NOT be carried through the cable.

Aug 4, 2015 2:19 PM in response to tsuen

Tested a DVI monitor with a DVI-D cable. The Mac tower detects the display with no problem. However the single-link DVI-I to VGA adapter does not work. Tried with another DVI port on other computers too; the adapter does not seem to be the culprit.

Out of curiosity, is the GT120 outputing digital signal only (DVI-D)? Or is it a DVI-I output that contains both analog and digital information?

DVI Port Adapter Question on a 2009 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.