Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages not opening any documents.

I was sent a pages doc a couple weeks ago. I use Word mostly since that is what my church uses. Pages would not open. I uninstalled and re-installed from the disc. Nothing. I did a OSX software update and now pages opens but still no documents(of any kind) will open. Logging in as a guest user did not change anything. Since I have not been able to find help - Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2011

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:32 PM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2015 5:09 PM in response to VikingOSX

Current version of iWork 09 -

Pages - version 4.3

Keynote - version 5.3

Numbers - version 2.3

OS - 10.8.5

It turns out that none of these programs are working.

It also turns out that the file I was trying to open was created with a MAC OS 10.9 (a newer version than what I have)

Since it is a newer OS, I assume a newer version of Pages, I understand why it would not open.

However - after opening the program file I am unable to do anything. It will NOT give me a document to type on nor open any templates. This is the same for all three programs.

Jul 30, 2015 5:50 PM in response to naise

Is that iWork '09 DVD the trial, or retail version?

Pages v5.0 through v5.2.2 require Mavericks, and create a Pages document that is not directly backwards compatible with Pages '09 v4.3. It would have to be exported as a Pages '09, or Word document, and then sent to you.

The circumstances by which you have the latest iWork '09 application versions, and all exhibit the same issue is vexing. Have you removed any System fonts before this issue began? Did you move the individual iWork '09 applications outside of the Applications/iWork '09 folder, into Applications, or elsewhere?

Have you run Disk Utility and verified/repaired permissions (including iWork'09) on your System drive?

Jul 31, 2015 5:01 PM in response to VikingOSX

I have the retail version. I have iLife on a disk too, but I have not installed it.

The iWork"09 folder has always stayed in the application folder.

I am NOT aware of anything I have removed from the system.

I have run Disk Utility before and ran across something which it said could not be repaired. I just did it again and got the samead also updated my software just a few days ago. There were a ton of permissions in iTunes which needed repaired and a few in Safari but that was it. Nothing for iWorks applications. I had also updated my software just a few days ago. Here is the info regarding what could not be repaired:

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

I have NOT had any issues with any other programs.

I just opened pages again and though it comes up all I get is the template chooser and then the chooser screen is solid black.

Keynote says an unexpected error occurred - pleas quit Keynote. But I have to force quit to get it to close.

Numbers does the same thing as Pages with the template chooser.

(For having Macs for more than 20 years I'm not doing very well here.)

Pages not opening any documents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.