Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A few questions about My Photo Stream, Photos app, and iCloud.

I use an iPhone 4 & a MacBook Pro. I am learning about my devices, hence these questions. I really need dummy answers, as My Photo Stream FAQ does not help me much.

I don't use My Photo Library because it got full and I am too mean to pay for extra storage.

Question 1: Should I actually be able to see my photos within My Photo Stream in iCloud.com? When Apple says they are stored on the server for 30 days, is this invisable to me? I can see them on my iPhone and my Mac.

Question 2: I obviously need to make albums to organise my media on both my devices. Should I do this on my mac or my iPhone?

Question 3: When I create my albums and put photos in them, will the other device automatically do the same by syncing somehow?

Question 4: Apparently my photos are saved on the server in iCloud for 30 days. Does My Photo Stream on my phone save my photos forever, but only up to 1000 photos (ie, my phone does not delete them after 30 days)?

Would love to get a reply. Thanking you all.

One last thing, if My Photo Stream streams to my iPhone and mac, what is the point of My Photo Library?

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 2:38 PM

Hello

1. No

2. Make them on the Mac, then sync the albums you want to the iPhone.

3. No, best to do that from the Mac.

4. True, the Photo Stream will hold photos, up to 1000 or up to 30 days

The Photos from the Photo Stream are downloaded to your device or Mac, they are there till you delete them.

Lastly. I believe the Library is from using the iCloud Photo Library.

Hope that helps

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 2:38 PM in response to barneyhairball

Hello

1. No

2. Make them on the Mac, then sync the albums you want to the iPhone.

3. No, best to do that from the Mac.

4. True, the Photo Stream will hold photos, up to 1000 or up to 30 days

The Photos from the Photo Stream are downloaded to your device or Mac, they are there till you delete them.

Lastly. I believe the Library is from using the iCloud Photo Library.

Hope that helps

Jul 30, 2015 3:35 PM in response to damaag

Many thanks. Just one more Q or 2.

Does My Photo Stream work exactly the same way on my mac and my phone? I keep reading about 1000 photos and 30 days; sometimes one is mentioned but not the other.

I get confused by my own pickie-ness! I have less than 1000 photos in My Photo Stream; will they get deleted after 30 days or not, and on both or either of my devices?

Regards.

Aug 1, 2015 1:46 AM in response to damaag

Sorry, still here! I take a photo using my iPhone, then it automatically appears on my iPhone in Camera Roll and My Photo Stream. It also appears on my mac in the Photos app in All Photos, My Photo Stream and the Photos tab.

Does the photo stay in the My Photo Stream in the iPhone and on the mac for OVER 30 days? If so, why does the info. on Apple go on about the 30 days deadline?

I have only 24 photos in My Photo Stream. So even when I have more than 30 they won't be deleted? If I reach 1001 photos will they then be deleted?

You say: After 30 days that photo will no longer be copied using the Photo Stream. But if it is already copied and is in Camera Roll and is in the relevant tabs on the mac and is in the My Photo Stream, what does it matter?

I must have a mental block, cos I just don't get it. Please, please reply. I'm thinking of changing my name cos I'm almost embarrassed! Thanking you.

Aug 1, 2015 10:40 AM in response to barneyhairball

I'm probably just as confused, but here is how I interpret what it says at My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support

Photo Stream is not a permanent storage proposition. Each photo is held in Photo Stream (on Apple's servers) for a maximum of 30 days. If you have 24 pictures in your Photo Stream now then whatever else happens those 24 pictures won't be there in 30 days time. Your devices each hold a rolling collection of a 1,000 pictures. The most recent 1,000 images stay on your device even when Apple's servers have dumped their copies after the 30 day limit.

I have an iPhone and an iPad. Usually any picture I take on one shows up on the other as long as both devices are on Wi-Fi. Once everything is synced up I see the same collection of images in Photo Stream on both devices, but each device has its own Camera Roll. When the 1,001st image is uploaded to Photo Stream each device should discard its oldest image from the Photo Stream collection, but not its Camera Roll if taken on that device. (You can however clean the camera roll as and when you transfer images to a computer, but this is a separate issue).

As long as you have a computer set up to automatically download your Photo Stream (e.g. using iPhoto or Photos on a Mac or the iCloud Control Panel on a Windows PC) then all of your regular pictures should get captured permanently. Bust mode and video footage is slightly more complicated, but the originals won't be deleted from the camera roll of your device automatically so you still have a chance to connect to a computer and transfer the images manually. I would suggest that you should do this periodically, and backup your pictures before wiping the camera roll.

tt2

Aug 2, 2015 9:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello again.

Many thanks for your reply. I'll go with what you say. One more thing: I have copied a paragraph from My Photo Stream FAQ page; it completely baffles me and is rather scary, what do you say?

'What happens to my photos if I turn off My Photo Stream?

If you sign out of iCloud or turn off My Photo Stream on an iOS device, all the photos in the My Photo Stream album are removed from that device. Any photos from My Photo Stream that were imported to the All Photos album and the Photos tab will also be removed. The photos from My Photo Stream on your other devices aren't affected'.

Is it just a case of 'don't turn off your My Photo Stream'? Or, am I reading it wrong. It looks like one would lose everything by turning it off. I tend to turn things off by mucking around, and then feeling feint at my my mistake! If the above is correct, how can one protect one's media? Save it to disc? Hope you get back to me. Thanks again.

Aug 2, 2015 10:20 AM in response to barneyhairball

Turning off Photo Stream will affect content added to the stream from other devices. The Camera Roll on each device should remain unchanged, but as ever the sooner these are downloaded to a computer and backed up the better. If you enable iPhoto or Photos to collect images from your Photo Stream then this should happen automatically, though this won't capture all burst mode photos or videos over a certain size. Turning off Photo Stream on your Mac won't delete images that have already been imported to the selected library.

tt2

Aug 2, 2015 12:21 PM in response to turingtest2

Oh; feeling a bit dopey now. I only use a mac and an iPhone. Just one more question to clarify. Supposing I had an iPad, is this what this paragraph is all about? If I turn off MPS on it or my iPhone, then media in the All Photos tab and the Photos tab will be removed on these devices only? But my mac will be okay?

If the answer is yes. Oh I hope it is! Then what was confusing me, is that my iPhone does not have an All Photos or Photos tab, so I was thinking that it must be deleted from my mac.

Please say this is my eureka moment. Please answer me. Don't leave me this way, on tenderhooks!

Aug 2, 2015 1:10 PM in response to barneyhairball

barneyhairball wrote:

Oh; feeling a bit dopey now. I only use a mac and an iPhone. Just one more question to clarify. Supposing I had an iPad, is this what this paragraph is all about? If I turn off MPS on it or my iPhone, then media in the All Photos tab and the Photos tab will be removed on these devices only? But my mac will be okay?

That is how I understand it, yes.

tt2

A few questions about My Photo Stream, Photos app, and iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.