Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media widget in iBooks Author

I am about to publish my second iBook. I am including animations which I put into media widgets. The background of the animation is white. Since upgrading to iOS8 on my iPad I get random black lines on the outside edge of my animations when I play them on my iPad (this does not occur when I play them on my desktop Mac). There seems to be some sort of "round-off" error. This did not happen with iOS7. I have had a bug report in since October 2014 and still no fix!!! Has anyone else come across this problem? Does anyone know a work around? These random black lines make my book look unprofessional. I will be very disappointed if I have to publish the book in this state ;(

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:11 PM

10 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:58 AM in response to rryman

yes i have noticed it also, with the exact same experience. they are in the preview of the iPad but not in the preview on the mac if i remember correctly. i've come across so many bugs recently i get confused sometimes but not here, i think. this is what i did.

1. export your book to .ibook format and move it to the iPad and see if they are there still there. i am assuming you see these on preview. and then look at your book again in ibooks to see if they are still there. if not, then this is likely a bug in preview to iOS, but who knows for sure what the result will be once you submit to apple, although i got to think they would not be there

2. a cheap fix.

overlay where the lines appear with a solid white rectangular shape, moved to the forefront.

3. the best fix in my opinion.

invest in the software squeeze and re-output your animation there. this is what i did, but i already had a license. you can get a trial copy i think and test it out. you might have to use the crop feature, play around with it. it is not too hard to use.

Aug 6, 2015 4:24 PM in response to rryman

i didn't realize this during my first reply but my problem, though the appearance of the line(s) at the border a movie is the same as yours, mine originate with gifs dropped into keynote v5.3 (09) that were at some point changed to .mov as part of the process of preview. my keynotes are dropped into keynote widgets.

still, they are the different manifestations of the same problem.

now having a workflow that bypasses the four main problems that made july a useless month for me, i am going full steam ahead assembling my book with all current software. it is a slow process, because i chose option 3 of my previous reply. i call it the perfectionist option. i am wondering if it is all worth it though as i could really improve my productivity and get this done much more quickly with option 2.

i tested option 1 of bypassing preview and just exporting to an ibook. the lines persists.

i'm going to look to see if the software in option 3 has a batch facility.

Aug 6, 2015 5:53 PM in response to richard the old

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

Altogether shout it now
There's no one
Who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now

Your cares and troubles are gone
There'll be no more from now on

i bought this product ages ago when i was involved more in multimedia movies. however, i never really used it. i know, it's a very expensive habit i have.

last december they were running a great special and i figured i would upgrade. i also went with the pro addition, since it was so sweet a deal. whatever money i spent on this in the past, it has now proved to be well worth it in getting rid of those pesky lines in the multimedia border. however, as i mentioned above, it has turned into a very time consuming process. i have so many of these movies, it could take months to do this. of course, on the other hand, i could use the quick, cheap and dirty option, which just based on time was rising in the polls faster than a fiorina.

however, in the recesses of my brain, what little there is left of it, i had seemed to remember some batch facility being mentioned. i get confused with things so maybe it was with another product. but i just looked and it is called the watch folder. i dropped a few movies into this watch folder and set my options and it did everything automatically. this is great news.

now this might sound to some that i am pimping this software. full disclosure: i own no shares in this company. i don't even know if it is publicly listed anywhere. i have no beneficial relationship with them except that this software is providing me with tremendous added value for the price i have paid in order to make my ibook better. i could easily have kept this to myself, but feel that there are many of you out here who could benefit. i do so hope though that the powers above see this as good will and make my book a multimillion book seller. this solves two roadblocks that iba v2.3 put in my way.

it is now full steam ahead with all the new software. hope i don't run into any more issues.

Aug 7, 2015 4:37 AM in response to richard the old

Thanks for replying to my post. Nice to know I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I did consider bounding my animations with a white rectangle, but decided to proceed with hope that the issue would be fixed eventually! I actually spoke with a technical person at Apple two days ago. He was able to reproduce the problem, so I am hoping this will mean that the issue will be resolved before I publish my second iBook.

I have also encountered an issue with the new navigation feature of the iBook. The "Go Back to page ..." and "Go to page ..." grey boxes at the bottom corners of the iPad screen do not function properly.

SO frustrating when something works on one operating system and then doesn't work when the operating system is updated! I have already had to redo my first iBook to accommodate the iOS7 to iOS8 changes and still was not able to work around all the bugs ;(

Aug 7, 2015 8:37 PM in response to rryman

at one point i tried the built in white border that one can bound an animation in, but it does not cover these lines you speak of.

option #2 in my original reply is a quick and cheap solution to the problem.

i've gone with option #3, mainly because it solves another problem that impedes my publication.

i had not noticed the new navigation feature of ibook in the iPad, because quite frankly i cannot get around the preview data transfer to iPad interrupted message. i semi lost interest in the problem because i have a work around. i opened an incident with the support center and should pursue it, but have been too busy trying to make up for the loss of the month of july. i have seen it on the mac, and tried it, but it was not intuitively obvious to me, perhaps because it contains the same error. i quickly disengaged from further analysis, because at this point i can navigate otherwise. at some point, i will have to look at my new ibook on the iPad, but lately i have just been using the mac to preview.

the software world revolves around new functionality. but even more important to me is to maintain high levels of reliability, availability and serviceability in the product. the RAS of the combination of the new iOS, new keynote, and new iba were not what my experience with apple software would have predicted. i don't know what went wrong with quality assurance this time around.

Aug 12, 2015 10:14 PM in response to rryman

just a small followup to my previous post of aug 7.

i am going thru my ibook and taking the necessary steps to workaround the issues i have documented during the month of july of this forum. while doing so, and i don't know why i did, i tried again to put a border around one of the animations. this time it masked the lines you speak of, which i also have on many but not all the .mov files generated by apple from my gifs. i did try this previously as reported above, but was unsuccessful. this time, the default border width came up as 5 pt and was large enough to mask the line. i think i had tried only 1, 2 and 3 pt before on a single animation. in the particular case i tried moments ago, i still would have had to adjust the location of the animation a few points, because the border was now overlaying an adjoining graphic. It was not clear to me whether you tried this or just thought about it, so if it is not fixed soon, you are likely able to use it to get your book published before it does get fixed using a border as a bypass. note again my lines appear in an animation within a keynote document within ibooks and from what you wrote, i take it your animation appears on a native ibook page. just wanted to let you know.

as i have told you, i decided on using a package i had already purchased to solve this problem. a nice benefit for me is that it creates an animation the exact same size as the original, and the replace function within keynote exactly overlays the original movie in terms of x,y location. i wish that were true for the audio replace function also, but is not.

Aug 13, 2015 7:42 AM in response to richard the old

Yes, I had previously added the white boarders to my animations. Though this fix worked, I decided I didn't want these random borders in my iBook. However, if the bug isn't fixed by the time I am ready to publish I may rethink that decision. In the meantime, I will check out software squeeze and see if it solves my problem. I won't have time to play with it for a few weeks, but I will give it a try if the bug is not fixed by then.

Thanks for your suggestions 🙂

Media widget in iBooks Author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.