Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import/restore my itunes library?

I just formatted my PC. All my Itunes stuff is on my Synology NAS, in /mp3. I want to cut/paste all the subfolders that itunes made (ie. Apple Music, Automatically Add to itunes, mobile applications, music, tones, voice memos) and put them in /music on my nas.

Now with a fresh install of itunes, can I just map that folder, /music, to say Y:\, and go into itunes, point it to that directory, and be done?

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:59 PM

As the saying goes, I wouldn't start from here.

Did you backup your library files before the reformat? Were they stored on the NAS too? See Make a split library portable for some background on iTunes library organization. With a NAS you may well get better performance keeping the library files on the system drive, but if you're going to have to start over with a new library you may as well create it in the most useful shape for the future, that is set the media folder to \\<NAS>\iTunes\iTunes Media and put your content inside it before adding to the library.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 12:59 PM in response to gizbug

As the saying goes, I wouldn't start from here.

Did you backup your library files before the reformat? Were they stored on the NAS too? See Make a split library portable for some background on iTunes library organization. With a NAS you may well get better performance keeping the library files on the system drive, but if you're going to have to start over with a new library you may as well create it in the most useful shape for the future, that is set the media folder to \\<NAS>\iTunes\iTunes Media and put your content inside it before adding to the library.

tt2

Jul 30, 2015 2:34 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the response.

I did not backup my library files. My library files were stored locally in the default install of itunes on my pc. Only my media items (songs/videos) are on the NAS.

Ill look into trying what you suggest. When you say make an \itunes\itunes media folder and put my content inside it before adding to library, do you mean, cut/past all my music subdirectory under \mp3, and put it in that folder, then open itunes?

I was also told I could just open itunes, point it to Y:\, and it would create a folder "Automatically add to itunes" and from them, just cut\paste my mp3 folder which I used before in itunes/itunes library, into that folder.

Jul 30, 2015 3:22 PM in response to gizbug

Mapping the root of the NAS to a drive letter may be a good move. Some users have had trouble when the Mobile Applications folder was stored on a UNC path. Still best however to create the path \iTunes\ iTunes Media inside the drive. You can then move the content into \iTunes`iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes to get it added to the library and organized properly. As and when you need to move the library you copy the library files into the iTunes folder on the NAS and access them there beforehand.

tt2

How to import/restore my itunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.