Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New HDD not recognised

Hi,

I have an early 2008 mac pro, it came with a 1 TB HDD (2 x 500 GD drives using Raid to show as one drive). A few years ago I added a 2 TD drive and all was well.

Today I removed the 2 500GB HDD and added three 2TB drives so I would have four 2TB drives in total, the Mac only sees one of the new drives.

I have moved them around into different configurations and also added one at a time but it still only sees the one drive (always the same one).

I have tried running System Information and the SATA area only sees the two drives (my old 2TB and the new one).

I have tried running Apple Hardware Test and it never starts!

Im running Yosemite, 32GB RAM, Dual Core 3.2Ghz.

Can anyone advise of a solution other than I have been landed with two dodgy drives!!!!

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 12:50 PM

13 replies

Jul 30, 2015 3:06 PM in response to dctyke

If the problem follows the drive, be suspicious that the drive is not aligned properly on the sled, and that the connector is not mating properly.

ALL the screws must be "just snug" so that they only very slightly compress the rubber gaskets, never squash them. (that is why they went to the tiny Phillips screwdriver for those, so that you could not crank them down.) None may be loose.

Jul 31, 2015 10:55 AM in response to dctyke

Update,

I removed the two 2TB drives that weren't being recognised and put back in the original two 500GB drives.

It recognised the two 500GB drives as the 1TB raid set up and the older 2TB drive I have had for a while, but the new 2TB drive was now showing as a 1TB drive !!! so it seams to only want to see 4 TB!

Jul 31, 2015 11:05 AM in response to dctyke

the new 2TB drive was now showing as a 1TB drive !!!

A drive that shows anything other than a reasonably accurate, non-zero size/capacity in Disk Utility is defective. Half size is not even close to working properly.

I am talking about the size/capacity shown when you select the drive mechanism by manufacturer's designation, the most out-dented designator the drive can have.

Jul 31, 2015 12:55 PM in response to dctyke

You created the array with Disk Utility using Yosemite? unlikely and was made using ____?

Do you have a minimal clean OS somewhere?

How about a reliable backup method like clone of the array? so you can create a new array and restore if ever needed to those.

\

Not mentioned or asked but I would do both SMC Reset (and press the power on button!) along with 4-finger salute for 2-3 restart cycles and Safe Boot. Also Yosemite Recovery Mode.

New HDD not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.