Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging an ipad

Leaving my iPad plugged into the wall all night doesn't fully charge my iPad. Also, as I sit in front of my plugged-in iPad, it gradually loses its charge. There must be particular settings that improve or degrade the charging process. what are they? In other words, what's the surest, fastest way of charging an iPad?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 1:41 PM

23 replies

Jul 30, 2015 5:15 PM in response to Niku

i couldn't find "battery," but I did find that Safari and Mail were using 81%. I also noticed that I couldn't turn off anything that was on. I just couldn't slide the control to the left. I have Bluetooth off because I'be read that it is a big user. Incidentally, after returning from a shopping trip during which the iPad was plugged-in, the battery charge declined to 37%.

Jul 30, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly Phan,

Yes. I did buy another charger because the Apple charger is so slow, but I'm using the Apple charger today. I must have switched back to the Aple because the charger that was supposed to be much faster got hot, and I wasn't comfortanle with that. By the way, do you think Apple chargers are better?

Jul 30, 2015 5:30 PM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

I also noticed that I couldn't turn off anything that was on.

You don't do this in the Settings > General area. But you should definitely turn off Safari when you're not actively using it, and reduce Mail's use of your power.

Double click the home button quickly. Scroll right until you see Safari's icon and a small Safari window above it. Swipe that column up from the lower end of the iPad to the top. That will close the Safari app.

Check Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data. Lower that fetch frequency.

Jul 31, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Niku

Thanks. I now know that I was using the 12-Watt charger designed for my iPad. However, I switched to a non-Apple charger this morning when my battery charge had gotten down to 29%. It's now 61% on the way to 100%. I'd like something a lot faster, though. Are there any fast chargers?

Jul 31, 2015 6:46 AM in response to AJ397

I don't know anything about "airplane mode," but I'll try. I probably misunderstood, but it seems to me that an Apple technician once told me to never use it. As I say, I probably misunderstood. Either that, or my memory's to blame. In any event, I'll try, although I don't know what Airplane is, or what it's for.

Jul 31, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Niku

Airplane mode shuts down ALL transmitters, such as WiFi and Bluetooth. At one time, there was fear that portable device transmitters could interfere with aircraft navigation systems and "Airplane Mode" was a way to safely use the device. We've learned a bit since then and, today, "Airplane mode" is required only during takeoff and landing.

Charging an ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.