Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SO Frustrated with dropped connections

I have a 5th Generation 3TB Time Capsule. I currently connect an 2013 MacBook Pro, a Samsung Note 4, an iPad Air 2, 3 Amazon TV (1 FireStick, 2 boxes), and an iPhone 5 via wifi (5ghz for the Amazon's). We have to reset the router at least once per day as the wifi drops out. When it happens the light on the router is still green, and I can always connect to the utility, but I have to restart the router in order to get the devices to work with the internet. The wifi is not being reported as being down on any of the devices when it happens, it just will not load anything until we restart the router. Any advice? OR what's the best router out there as I'm losing hope in airport extreme.

3TB Time Capsule (5th Gen-A1470)-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 4:42 PM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2015 5:48 PM in response to WiFirustrated

OOps I guess it's actually 6th gen

The latest TC is gen5.. the latest Airport Extreme is Gen6.. TC is one gen behind.

And yes.. it is unreliable. At least many people find it so.

What has dropped could be the wan connection.. so test if you still have local lan even if internet doesn't work.. ie can you copy a file to the TC and back.. if that is the case then WAN is the issue.

What modem do you have and how is the TC setup,, bridge or router??

Are you using short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics.. for everything.. base station name and wireless name.. also passwords should be mixed case and numbers.. no special characters.

If you cannot fix it I can suggest a router and use the TC in bridge usually works fine. Not expensive to replace the router side of the function.. a $50 TP-Link will work as well as anything.

Jul 30, 2015 6:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

I do have local lan. I'm using the Motorola Surfboard 6141 which I've read tends not to play nicely with the TC. However, I have also used 2 other modems provided by my ISP (MidContinent) with the same intermittent issues. We're going to get a new router from my brother in law so we'll see! I'm such an Apple fangirl and very disappointed by the new TC. Our old (maybe 2nd gen?) Airport Extreme was a beast, and I was expecting the same reliability.

SO Frustrated with dropped connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.