Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Avast antivirus software that I installed on my 2011 MBP has detected and thwarted malware attempts after awakening from sleep mode. I am suspicious of hackers using Sleep Mode to release malware into my computer. Any suggestions?

I’m running a MBP 13-inch (Early 2011) ~ 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ~16GB ddr3 ~ OS 10.10.1

According to Avast antivirus software, it has detected and thwarted malware attempts on several occasions. These attempts have always occurred after my computer awakens from sleep mode. Seems like rootkit and/or key logger attack. I am suspicious of hackers using Sleep Mode to release malware into my computer. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 2:06 PM

9 replies

Jul 30, 2015 2:49 PM in response to jamkoh

it has detected and thwarted malware attempts on several occasions

No it hasn't. Those alerts were completely bogus.

"Avast" is the worst of the whole wretched lot of commercial "security" products for the Mac. Not only does it fail to protect you from any real danger, it may send personal data (such as web browsing history and the contents of email messages) back to the developer without your knowledge, give false warnings, destabilize and slow down the computer, expose you to network attack, and corrupt the network settings and the permissions of files in your home folder. Removing it may not repair all the damage.

Some versions of the product also inject advertising into web pages. In short, apart from the fine print in the license agreement, Avast is indistinguishable from malware, and is arguably worse than any known malware now in circulation.

Back up all data, then remove Avast according to the developer's instructions. Restart. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software again.

If you tried to remove Avast by dragging an application to the Trash, you'll have to reinstall it and then follow the instructions linked above.

Jul 30, 2015 7:28 PM in response to jamkoh

Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful feedback. I uninstalled Avast!

Just a parting note:

I had been running the free version of Avast for over a year with no problems. Their software only reported two incidents where infections were blocked (of sites that I visited).

T’was only about 4 weeks ago that everything changed.

It happened shortly after I emailed someone a Cnet article titled “Mac's sleep mode vulnerability rated critical by Symantec”.

After that,Avast began posting occasional ‘infection blocked’ notices when my computer came out of sleep mode. Avast postings seemed to confirm what the Cnet article was reporting.

http://www.cnet.com/news/symantec-confirms-existence-of-unpatched-rootkit-mac-se curity-flaw/?tag=nl.e757&s_cid=e757&ttag…

The Avast antivirus software that I installed on my 2011 MBP has detected and thwarted malware attempts after awakening from sleep mode. I am suspicious of hackers using Sleep Mode to release malware into my computer. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.