Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod will only play videos if I plug in my headphones and if I don't use my headphones the videos won't play and music will have static or just not play at all. What's causing this?

Just as the title says, videos won't play without my headphones plugged in. I'll press play but nothing happens. Plug in my headphones and press play then it starts playing. With just pure audio, I'll hear a lot of static over whatever is playing or it won't play at all but again, with headphones it works fine. What's causing this? Is there a solution other than to reset settings and the like? because I've already done that. I can't reboot using the home and power button because my home button is jammed. I've tried the font bolding technique to reboot. I haven't tried recovering because I don't think it'll work but if it's a solution I guess I'll try.

iPod touch, iOS 8.4, 5th Gen iPod Touch

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 4:11 PM

1 reply

Jul 30, 2015 4:14 PM in response to mjm9766

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

iPod will only play videos if I plug in my headphones and if I don't use my headphones the videos won't play and music will have static or just not play at all. What's causing this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.