Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is xserve raid limited to 1tb drives can i fit larger drives

I have bought a xserve raid array A1009 with an xserve i am looking to create a home media system storage for videos photos music & docs all in one place in a rack cabinet.

I would like to increase the storage capacity in the raid & have been looking online and found i am limited to 1tb drives is there a way around this so i can install 4tb drives or even 8tb drives.

I am looking to connect 2 mini macs 2 imacs and a mac pro tower and maybe a pro mac G5.

any help would be appreciated i have a little knowledge in computers and macs but very little in networks so any guidance would be a great help.

Xserve

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 4:12 PM

8 replies

Jul 30, 2015 9:27 PM in response to Garysfootprint

There is no way around it - at least not officially.

The firmware in the XServe RAID - that is, the actual code that deals with interacting/reading/writing to the drives - was specifically tuned to the drives that shipped in the XServe RAID - namely 250GB, 400GB, 500GB and, ultimately, 1TB, which was the largest drive in common use when the XServe RAID was discontinued. As such, the device doesn't know how to talk to larger drives.

That said,you could try putting in a larger drive and seeing if it works, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I certainly would not run the RAID with different sized drives (or even drives from different vendors).

At the end of the day, if you want more space, look for other options, or find another XServe RAID and chain them together.

Jul 31, 2015 1:34 AM in response to Camelot

thank you Camelot for your answer it was helpful i have only just started doing this and i am learning as i go so your help is very much appreciated i hope you don't you mind if i ask you a question? you might be able to help me and save me looking a complete fool when i fail

If i was to put say 4tb drives in the raid and then partition them it into 1tb partitions do you think that would work?

i was thinking of adding another raid when i can afford one and the try to learn how to link them together that why i got the xserve hoping they would match up easily.

Jul 31, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Garysfootprint

If i was to put say 4tb drives in the raid and then partition them it into 1tb partitions do you think that would work?

No. I'm absolutely sure it would not.

The problem is far more low-level than that - think of it more as the RAID controller having no idea how to talk to a 4TB drive - it expects 1TB drives at most.

Additionally, the RAID controller expects to talk to the drive directly, and doesn't understand partitions (partitions are just logical, not physical constraints). Assuming you could partition the drive (which you can't, because the UI doesn't support it), the two outcomes would be 1) the RAID ignores the partition map, or b) it uses the first partition it finds. Hard to say which is more likely since you don't have an option to partition the drives anyway 🙂

But even if I am wrong (it does happen occasionally 😉 ) and it recognizes the partitions, the RAID controller still only expects 14 drives (partitions), and isn't likely to build an array over 56 partitions.

Aug 1, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Garysfootprint

I know this might seem a stupid question but is there any way to increase the size of drives the raid controller will talk recognize?

Well, yes - that's what the firmware does. each time the XServe RAID has supported larger drives there has been a corresponding firmware update to include that support. The issue is that the firmware code is proprietary and owned by Apple, so no one else (least of all you or me) can make the necessary changes. Apple could do it but the chances of that are... well, let's just say it's not high 🙂

why is xserve raid limited to 1tb drives can i fit larger drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.