Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't connect to wireless router

I had my wireless router turned off for a few days. I turned it back on and changed the WiFi password, but then my iMac refused to connect. So I changed the wireless password back to the previous one, but my iMac still won't connect. When I turn on Airport from the menu bar, it detects the network but I can't login. All other devices and computers in my home connect to WiFi with no problem, so I know it's not the router.

I went into the iMac Network preferences and deleted all remembered wireless networks and rebooted. Still wouldn't accept the password. Then I went into the Keychain utility and deleted the saved password file. Rebooted again but it still won't accept the WiFi password.

I get a "Connection failed" error when I try to connect from the menu bar dropdown. From Network preferences, the login window just clears the password each time I click Ok. Anybody know how to fix this?

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 3:32 PM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2015 4:10 PM in response to Blue.Note

Reset (don't restart) the router, yes I know all the other devices connect. Once you have done that, verify the router has the most up-to-date firmware. You will need to visit Linkysy's website for that information and also learn how to update it if necessary. Once it has been reset and updated, next restart the Mac in Safe Mode (hold down the Shift key on startup) and finally then reset the SMC and PRAM on the iMac using the instructions in iMac SMC and PRAM reset and then retest.

iMac won't connect to wireless router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.