Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't video chat with buddy in Messages

My buddy shows me as available on his buddy's list. He tries to initiate a video chat, but I am not notified that he is calling. My buddy list shows that he is idle. However, we are able to use FaceTime. Why can we not use video chat and screen sharing in Messages?

OS X 10.10.4

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 3:39 PM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2015 12:49 PM in response to SilverMiner

HI,

This is a known issue with no current fix at present.

It is effecting people globally and from iChat 5.0.3 (at least) upwards through all versions of Yosemite's version 8 (it is not clear due to numbering changes if Messages in Yosemite has been updated).

It is also effecting both AIM and Jabber (Google) connections.

Screen Sharing is also effected, using those same account types (the same ones iChat used before Messages).

Yosemite's version of Messages can Screen Share in iMessages and I have not seen posts to say this is not working (it works differently to the old "iChat way").

User uploaded file

8:49 p.m. Friday; July 31, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 17, 2015 12:01 PM in response to katefromelkhorn

Hi,

See also this thread.

Re: Problem connecting on video chat AIM account/Messages

I have brought this to the attention of the Hosts and added the new info (the Wireshark one) to that thread in the Lounge.

It is not something the end user can change and it will be up to Apple to sort out their SNATMAP server.

User uploaded file

8:01 p.m. Monday; August 17, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Can't video chat with buddy in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.