Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

prohibited sign at start up: error loading kernel cache (0x7)

I have an apple mackbook pro MD102LL/A, I think I got it back in 2012.

Just yesterday during start up I got I got the prohibited sign. I cant start up in safe mode and in verbose it gives me "error loading kernel cache (0x7)"

I dont even know how to safe my files since it wont let me boot it up. I've tried repairing the disk and permissions with no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 6:27 PM

26 replies

Jul 30, 2015 6:39 PM in response to CMCSK

Hi CMCSK,

Ya none of those are showing up on my scree.

Anyways, thanks for the link. I've went through those steps earlier but when I paste the text in my terminal they dont vanish like directions say they would.

I can see were it says process started and when it says process complete. What I do next is quit terminal and the results should be copied on the clipboard but they arent. All I get is the same text that I pasted in the beginning.

Jul 30, 2015 7:10 PM in response to DerpTheGod

To use Time Machine, you need an external drive.

User Tip: Backup now, or forever hold your peace

Bulletproof backups: When you absolutely can't lose any data

Never consider any computer a data storage device, rather a data creation ,sending, and manipulation device. Anyone who thinks data is safe on any computer, even copied upon multiple partitions is making a mistake.

Never backup your data exclusively upon magnetic hard drives or flash storage, nor consider same since magnetic storage degrades over time even under ideal conditions.

Store important data on multiple servers on multiple continents.

Burn important data onto multiple copies of archival DVDs and store same in cool dark fireproof safes, hidden places, secret places, multiple places.

Don’t burn data onto junk DVD’s purchased from consumer level electronics stores. These are not archival long life DVD’s nor reliable, nor trustworthy.

When data can be made to be everywhere, then there is nowhere it can be erased or destroyed.

Most importantly know that 2 copies of your data is 1, and 1 is none, and 1000 copies stored in one place or building, is also the same as none when a fire occurs.

Always consider and expect your computer’s hard drive to completely crash anytime, at all times, and thou shalt keep a cloned and updated hard drive handy at all times to return to immediate productivity and avoid program and parameter reinstallation and tweaking.

When your data is decentralized, it becomes both everywhere and nowhere, accessible to all, destructible by none, cannot be collected together or permanently retrieved under any circumstances.

Authored by PlotinusVeritas

User uploaded file

prohibited sign at start up: error loading kernel cache (0x7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.