Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Pref Lock No Working

Inside System Prefs > Security & Privacy, I can check and uncheck the Require password for sleep and screen saver [ immediately ] pref with the lower left lock, locked.

And unfortunately the remote login program I use (SplashTop) when I login to my Mac whether with my iPad, iPhone or MBP, this checks that password option so that every time my computer sleeps, I have to enter my computer PW to release the screen saver. Being that this is a home computer, this level of security is not needed. So, it's just an annoyance.

I assume this lock issue always happened but it wasn't until the last update of Splashtop, that I noticed it. Since I can check/uncheck this checkbox manually, I'm assuming the issue is not caused by Splashtop, unless their server software is the culprit so since it's installed, the lock is just not functional.

OR… the lock was never functional and Splashtop's odd bug brought it to light.

OK.. all that said, anyone know if this is a know Lion bug? Is there a way to make the lock work?

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Thx,
Steven

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4-Core Mid 2012

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 4:45 PM

Those settings only affect your user account and therefore aren’t controlled by the lock.

(131019)

4 replies

Aug 1, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel, but could you explain this? I assumed if there's a lock, it would prevent others from making changes. Contolling whether a PW is require to release your screen saver could be a real proble if one were to forget it, or if the computer is used by others that you don't want to know it, but it's OK for them to use you computer and thus be able to wake and access it, having the lock not lock this pref seems dangerous and in Splashtop's case having the ability to check this pref is for me an annoyance I'm having to uncheck everytime after using SplashTop.

THat said, I'm surprised Apple would have a lock that doesnt lock. but like I've implied I do t understand what you mean by a User Account, and therefore can't understand since to me, User Account or not, It's undesirable that that lock doesn't prevent they way I've set my Sys Prefs to stay put.

COuld i trouble you to you to explain what a user account is and if you know, why setting a user account system pref wouldn't be desirable to be set and locked.

thanks for your help!

Aug 1, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for the explanation, but I must admit I don't understand it, or Apple. Why have a lock to protect settings that doesn't effect everything on the page. I see now that the password text is not grayed out like the other text. But to me I assumed that to be a bug versus a feature. After all, this is on the "Security & Privacy" pane and the item in question is about requiring a password or not. The very concept that this is not protected to my mind is ludicrous and illogical and not secure, not to mention presenting to the user the idea that everything on the pane is protected by a lock. After all it says right at the bottom: "Click the lock to make changes." It doesn't say to make changes except for these items, or those items. In a word this interface is beyond misleading and provides a false sense of security. Not a little. Big time. I'm really surprised at Apple on this one. And as it is, I have a program that checks that darn box every time I uncheck it. It's not right. This is my computer and I don't want people or applications changing my settings. Feedback here I come… But thanks for trying to make sense of it for me Niel. I appreciate your time.

System Pref Lock No Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.