Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external speakers

Sound doesn't work for external speakers, I've try a couple different ones. Is there anything I can do myself to fix this problem?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 8:01 PM

7 replies

Aug 1, 2015 8:39 AM in response to youngjack8

From the Help menu.

Set up external speakers for stereo or surround sound

Set up external speakers connected to your audio device for stereo or multichannel output, such as 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 surround sound. For audio devices with multichannel setups, select the speaker used to play each channel.

Make sure the speakers are connected to your audio devices. Also make sure your audio devices have any required software installed, are connected to your Mac, and are turned on.

Open Audio MIDI Setup for me

1. Select the audio output device from the list, then click Configure Speakers.If you’re using an interleaved device with more than one audio stream, select the audio streams you want to use with your speaker configuration. If the stream you select provides enough channels for the speakers you’re configuring, you can’t select additional streams.
  2. Choose the type of output you want to set up from the pop-up menu.If your setup has five front speakers and two rear speakers, choose 7.1 Surround. If your setup has three front speakers and four rear speakers, choose 7.1 Rear Surround.
  3. For each speaker in the configuration, choose a channel from the pop-up menu below the speaker.
  4. Click the speaker to hear a test tone.

For surround-sound setups, the test tone for each speaker should be the same volume when heard from the listener’s vantage point. You can adjust the volume for each speaker channel in the Audio Devices window.

SEE ALSO

Was this help page useful? Send feedback.

external speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.