Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a macbook pro with retina... my computer always gets hot on the bottom why?

my macbook with retina always gets hot on the bottom why?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 10:55 PM

7 replies

Jul 31, 2015 12:15 AM in response to kyama1

Also consider the use of a device that allows air to circulate under the portable computer so heat

will not concentrate and build up in the metal housing of the computer; that should be a way to

cool the portable, and try to avoid using the computer on furniture that has cloth or carpeted floor

where the surface essentially insulates the MacBook from any circulating air. Avoid using it as a

laptop unless you have some hard surface beneath it so air can circulate.

The fan control idea is a convenient method to help select cooling speeds, & to test for other

issues that may be ambient or local; or additional summer temperature issues.

And if using the computer as a desktop replacement, be sure the settings are correct for use

with the lid closed, if there is an external display used as primary, to avoid internal heat issues.

When ambient temperatures are higher due to seasonal causes, be sure to use more efficient

power settings (dim display, don't run excessive gaming or streaming, and other) settings.

Sometimes the SMC reset or other instruction may help if the computer is unusually hot running,

but to look into the Activity Monitor and also check the power usage, for unexpected proof of why

the issue exists, is an idea. If the unit is under AppleCare, a visit to an Apple authorized service

provider for testing and diagnostics may be an idea; if there is no Genius bar at Apple Store near.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

I have a macbook pro with retina... my computer always gets hot on the bottom why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.