Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record a movie from the screen

QuickTime Player has a menu to record the screen, but there will be no sound. Is there a solution with Apple?

~ Karl

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 10:25 PM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2015 11:11 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

All we know from your post is quicktime recording and no sound... much more information is required.

Tell us a Story - with a beginning, a middle and end. We need to understand everything that you know and have experienced.

If this issue is new, tell us what immediately preceded its onset - add software, upgrade or update? New equipment?

Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "iOS 6.0.3" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

For a detailed "coaching", please see the User Tip > "Help us to help you on these forums"<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5431>

"Keep It Short and Simple" - Take your time... but be thorough - ÇÇÇ

Jul 31, 2015 7:25 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I recorded very often movies from the screen with Snap Pro X. Now with yosemite there is no sound in the stored Quicktime movie.

So I searched and saw, that Quicktime X (normally I am using 7 and so I am not so familiar with X) also have a command to record movies from the screen (altough much more complex). And it does also not record the sound.

example (but not the only one)

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/Wien-heute/70018/Wien-heute/10286035

the movie in the middle. Tried with QT Player, and SnapXPro. Picture already received, no sound in the saved file.

Some additional information:

Quicktime-Player: 10.4

angepasste Zugriffsrechte.

User uploaded file

Menu File… in QT X 10.4

---

Modellname: Mac Pro

Modell-Identifizierung: MacPro6,1

Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,7 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 10 MB

Speicher: 16 GB

Boot-ROM-Version: MP61.0116.B15

SMC-Version (System): 2.20f18

Beleuchtungsversion: 1.4a6

Seriennummer (System): F5KNY04TF9VN

Hardware-UUID: 1EE71E9C-F4F7-514F-8029-3E802877E3C2

---

AMD FirePro D500: 2x

Chipsatz-Modell: AMD FirePro D500

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Steckplatz: Slot-2

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 3072 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x679e

Versions-ID: 0x0000

ROM-Version: 113-C3861J-687

gMux-Version: 4.0.11 [3.2.8]

EFI-Treiberversion: 01.00.687

Monitore:

PA272W:

Auflösung: 1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz

>>>>>>>>>>>> native 2560 x 1440

Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Monitor-Seriennummer: 47106851TW

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Rotation: Unterstützt

Verbindungstyp: DisplayPort

---

Storage:

Ihr Mac umfasst 4 Speichersteckplätze, von denen jeder

ein 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC-Speichermodul aufnehmen kann.

---

Systeminformations: 10.10

---

MacPro Karl:

Verfügbar free: 279,36 GB (279.359.467.520 Byte)

Kapazität: 499,08 GB (499.082.489.856 Byte)

Mount-Point: /

Dateisystem: Journaled HFS+

Beschreibbar: Ja

Eigentümer ignorieren: Nein

BSD-Name: disk1

Logisches Volume:

Widerrufbar: Ja (keine Verschlüsselung erforderlich)

Verschlüsselt: Nein

Logische Volumegruppe:

Name: Macintosh HD

Größe: 499,42 GB (499.418.034.176 Byte)

Freier Speicherplatz: 0 KB

Physische Volumes:

disk0s2:

Medienname: APPLE SSD SM0512F Media

Größe: 499,42 GB (499.418.034.176 Byte)

Art des Mediums: SSD

Protokoll: PCI

Intern: Ja

Partitionstabellentyp: GPT (GUID-Partitionstabelle)

S.M.A.R.T.-Status: Überprüft

---

Audio exit:

Ausgang (integriert):

Standardausgabegerät: Ja

Standard-Systemausgabegerät: Ja

Hersteller: Apple Inc.

Ausgangskanäle: 2

Aktuelle SampleRate: 44100

Transport: Integriert

---

Soundflower (2ch):

Standardeingabegerät: Ja

Eingabekanäle: 2

Hersteller: ma++ ingalls for Cycling '74

Ausgangskanäle: 2

Aktuelle SampleRate: 44100

Transport: Unbekannt

---

Aug 2, 2015 1:20 PM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

Karl

Much better, but so much for K.I.S.S. !!

Have selected the audio input source correctly?

From Mac Basics: QuickTime Player creates, plays, edits, and shares video and audio files - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Last ¶

Clicking the triangle in this window gives you additional options, such as letting you choose whether to use the built-in microphone on your Mac, or another connected microphone, or no microphone at all. This menu also lets you select whether or not your mouse clicks are shown during the recording (the pointer is highlighted when you click). You can also choose where to save your screen recording when finished.

Aug 3, 2015 6:55 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChtlinsCC, have you tried this with Yosemite by yourself? Manuals are wonderful, but in this case…

control panel sound “input as it is

User uploaded file

control panel sound “output as it is

User uploaded file

Quicktime player (what does it? users are always lead back to 7, therefore my question; be sure I know Macs and Quicktime for long)

the litte menu in QT player, as it is

User uploaded file

---

What would be done better? What can be done better? Is there a controller to be resettled?

~Karl

Aug 3, 2015 8:06 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

No Yosemite. No QT X. Sound Input is not something that would be any different except for 'appearance' (the LOOK of the interface). On a Notebook Mac, your screenshot of sound input "Control Panel" should have choices for 'Built-in Microphone' & 'None' - Google translates the message as " There is no input devices have been found " -

• What Mac do you have?
  • What is the source of your audio?
    • your voice? = microphone
    • some other electronic source? = 'line in'
    • some sound that your Mac is playing at the same time? = requires another App like Soundflower

No wonder there is no audio recorded! Answer the above and we'll see if someone has any ideas if indeed there should be input sources listed

Aug 3, 2015 9:39 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC wrote:

• What is the source of your audio?
    • your voice? = microphone
    • some other electronic source? = 'line in'
    • some sound that your Mac is playing at the same time? = requires another App like Soundflower

No wonder there is no audio recorded! Answer the above and we'll see if someone has any ideas if indeed there should be input sources listed

What Mac do you have?

Modellname: Mac Pro

Modell-Identifizierung: MacPro6,1

Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

(see my post from Aug 1, 2015 4:25 AM)

So. Deinstalled Soundflower in the morning, Re-Installed in the afternoon. Sound is now recorded, sound like echo/ coming back from e wall.

How to work, please?

Ttwo-channel or multi? Can different channels been selected to give away echo-effects?

~Karl

Aug 3, 2015 10:42 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

Sorry - I pretty much did not read the DETAILED System Info Report (see my post above about "Keep It Short and Simple" )

Also, keep in mind that the TimeStamp for YOU is localized - Aug 1, 2015 4:25 AM -?Germany? For me it is - Jul 31, 2015 9:25 PM - CDT-US

What i believe you are saying is that you are employing Soundflower to record audio that is being played by some other App on your Mac while recording what you are doing on screen - correct? (What App is playing the sound may be helpful... that detail, along with every other ActionFlowStep ARE important details to be complete, but concise)

If you have a microphone employed as well, I will guess that the "echo" is being caused by "feedback" - the mic picking up what is coming out of the speakers - feedback can be the echo you hear all the way up to what we all recognize as a 'Screeching sound" from a Concert sound system, if the volume is high enough. If so, use of headphones will eliminate. Notebooks (like mine) require headphones because of the close proximity of the Internal Mic to the Speakers - even an External Mic would too in all likelihood.

I do not use it, but Soundflower HELP is fairly robust as I recall - at least online. It may have something to say about the 'echo' effect.

Your current capture session's audio will be unusable - the echo is permanent

If you would pose a new question stating what your goals are - in detail - you may get some advice on how to PLAN your WorkFlow so you can get this done in "one take", for example:

"I need to record my screen actions while playing a song in iTunes and record my voice-over narration at the same time."

In the old days, we would capture the screen first, edit that video to taste, record a voice-over while watching the video (like cartoon voice talent would), pick music and sound effects, then bring all of these together in a video editing software - iMovie could do this very thing, and it is the entry level video editor from Apple's product line.

Whenever I had any project, I would do a very short Test Run of my WorkFlow to prove that I was not wasting my time with my PLAN. Work out the kinks with short tests.

Aug 3, 2015 11:15 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

OOh, excuse me. I thaught to have sent it, though it was in the other thread.

assuming I have in safari or another browser a page with a movie

say http://tvthek.orf.at/program/Wien-heute/70018

and I want this movie in the middle to record becaus in a part of the movie a school fellow of me is speaking.

BEfore Yosemite it was easy, shortcut command five choosing kind movie selecting the area ok

at the end hitting the shortcut - ready to converting into a quicktime understandable format.

--- now there comes up to frickling with new apps, snap pro x does not work because change of soundsystem in Yosemit, helpers does not know what I mean with “capturing of a movie from the screen”

---

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/Wien-heute/70018

PLease: how to record the movie in the middle - sound and pictures?

(With some broadcasters the url of the movie can be searched for in the web-source and given to QT player to show the movie in a QT window to store/save the movie; but some broadcasters have other formats and this method is not applicable)

~ Karl

Aug 3, 2015 11:51 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

I now get your goal with crystal clarity!! 🙂 Your old school chum is in the middle of the movie and you want to record it. Downloading is not possible because of the content security measures the site owner has employed.

It seems to me, that if one were to comply with the Berne Convention Copyright Treaty - one would contact the Copyright holder and simply explain what you want - a bit of memorabilia of your school pal - and ask them if the movie or clip is available for you to download - or would they make it available to you via DropBox or somesuch.

-----

OK - you said " BEfore Yosemite it was easy, shortcut.... "

Simply REVERT to that WorkFlow as you did before Yosemite - QT X has been around a lot longer than Yosemite - were you using some other App before? Tell us - in detail - the Story of how you were successful in the past.

Write in German if you want and we'll let Google Translate make the mistakes!!

Aug 3, 2015 11:59 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

You are expressing the belief that upgrading your system software to Yosemite was the preceding event to your issues. You only say " Systeminformations: 10.10 " - NO Version last digit!! Should read 10.10.3 or the like. Some other comments may have lost something in translation, but did some App or Apps stop working after the event?

Perhaps you see where I am going with this— tell us your last success then what happened in between that has stopped you from doing simply the same thing again.

How to record a movie from the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.