Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I recover deleted text messages from my iPhone 5

I can see the deleted messages in Spotlight Search but I don't know how to pull the ones I want to restore them to my iPhone 5 IOS 7.1.2. I haven't backed up my phone to iTunes but I think it's backed up in iCloud because that app is ON in Settings. How can I get them back?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:51 PM

You would have to Erase your device and restore it to the iCloud backup that had the messages still on it. If you want to do that, you need to go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content & Settings. Then it will prompt you through setting up the phone like it is a new device. When you get to the part where you have the option to Restore from Backup, select the iCloud backup you want to use.

Remember, restoring to the backup will put your device back to where it was exactly at the time the backup was made, so anything that has been added or changed since then will revert back.

Also, before doing this, be sure that you have a backup, and it would be a really good idea to also back up your device to iTunes just to have a second backup option.

Best of luck,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 9:51 PM in response to lddavis

You would have to Erase your device and restore it to the iCloud backup that had the messages still on it. If you want to do that, you need to go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content & Settings. Then it will prompt you through setting up the phone like it is a new device. When you get to the part where you have the option to Restore from Backup, select the iCloud backup you want to use.

Remember, restoring to the backup will put your device back to where it was exactly at the time the backup was made, so anything that has been added or changed since then will revert back.

Also, before doing this, be sure that you have a backup, and it would be a really good idea to also back up your device to iTunes just to have a second backup option.

Best of luck,

GB

Jul 30, 2015 10:40 PM in response to gail from maine

Gail thanks so very much for the information you shared. You're right, of course: the critical first step I have to take is to CONFIRM that the iCloud really is backing up my phone; I'll do that tomorrow. And, yes, dork that I am, I haven't backed up my phone to iTunes - ever - because I wasn't sure how to. Geek - that's me. I'll find out how to do that and absolutely do that from now.

Thanks again, Gail, I really appreciate your response.

Cheers,

Leslie in L.A.

Jul 30, 2015 10:51 PM in response to lddavis

You are most welcome, Leslie!

Backing up to iTunes (in addition to your automatic iCloud backups) is very easy. Just hook up your device to the computer where you are running iTunes, and when you see the little icon in the top menu bar, select that. The Summary page will allow you to select the option to back up to iTunes now. I have automatic iCloud backups set up for my devices, but whenever I connect to my Mac to import photos or to sync, I also do an iTunes backup, just to have a second one around.

Best of luck!

GB

p.s. I'm a native Californian. I grew up in Arcadia - just outside of LA.... 🙂 (small world....)

How can I recover deleted text messages from my iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.