Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh Performa 405 hard drive replacement

I have an old Performa 405 that has a failed hard disk. I want to get the computer up and running, and as far as I know, the only thing broken is the hard disk. It has a 250MB 3.5 inch SCSI hard drive. I can't find any Apple hard drives of that era for a decent price, so I thought I'd just get a standard 3.5 inch SCSI drive, and install Mac OS 7.5 on it. If I get a new hard drive, will I need to make sure it's around 250 MB, or format it to a specific file system type? If I need it to be close to that size, can I just make the primary partition be that size with no ill effects?

It should be noted I don't have access to any other Apple computer to use Apple software. I have an old Windows XP computer that I think is able to accept SCSI drives, but if it doesn't, it'll be difficult to format a drive, so I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Also, what's the best way to transfer files from it to a modern Windows computer? I have a USB floppy drive on my computer, but as far as I know, Windows can't read Mac formatted floppies. The only non-Apple connector this computer has is a parallel port. Would getting a parallel Zip drive be my best bet of transferring data? What drive could I get that's compatible with Mac OS 7.6 and Windows XP?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:09 PM

For a volume size smaller than 2 GB, it is not going to be a problem (regardless of operating system for this computer). If necessary, it is even possible to use several <2 GB partitions on a larger hard drive.

In order to format a hard disk drive with an Apple logotype, one would use a utility called Apple HD SC Setup. This utility (unmodified) will not work with third-party hard drives; these do normally require a third-party formatting application like Lido 7.56. Apple's Drive Setup 1.7.3 may also work with some third-party drives.

It is not wise to try to carry out the hard disk formatting at a Windows computer. Instead, one should use a bootable floppy (with an appropriate formatting utility) in the Performa 405. Do you already have a bootable Disk Tools floppy? One could also connect an external hard drive to the SCSI port of the Performa.

Please note that the DB-25 port on the Performa is SCSI, not parallel (connecting a parallel device to a SCSI port or v.v. could/will cause damages). However, you could connect a parallel (or USB) Zip drive to a Windows computer, and a SCSI Zip drive to the Performa, and then use a Zip disk for transfers. A Windows computer would need a special Mac-disk utility (like a suitable version of TransMac or MacDrive) in order to handle Mac-formatted Zip disks or 1.44 MB floppies.

As long as we are talking about plain file transfers between a Windows XP computer and an already working Performa 405, it is relatively easy (providing that certain rules are followed). Making certain bootable Mac-floppies on a Windows XP machine is possible, but relatively complicated. Modifying Mac disks on a Windows computer is either not possible or just difficult.

In this case, you should really try to find a fully working approx. 1991-1997 Macintosh (with a built-in floppy drive for 1.44 MB, and preferably with a CD-ROM drive and Ethernet) to be used as an intermediate computer.

Do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 9:09 PM in response to Weboh

For a volume size smaller than 2 GB, it is not going to be a problem (regardless of operating system for this computer). If necessary, it is even possible to use several <2 GB partitions on a larger hard drive.

In order to format a hard disk drive with an Apple logotype, one would use a utility called Apple HD SC Setup. This utility (unmodified) will not work with third-party hard drives; these do normally require a third-party formatting application like Lido 7.56. Apple's Drive Setup 1.7.3 may also work with some third-party drives.

It is not wise to try to carry out the hard disk formatting at a Windows computer. Instead, one should use a bootable floppy (with an appropriate formatting utility) in the Performa 405. Do you already have a bootable Disk Tools floppy? One could also connect an external hard drive to the SCSI port of the Performa.

Please note that the DB-25 port on the Performa is SCSI, not parallel (connecting a parallel device to a SCSI port or v.v. could/will cause damages). However, you could connect a parallel (or USB) Zip drive to a Windows computer, and a SCSI Zip drive to the Performa, and then use a Zip disk for transfers. A Windows computer would need a special Mac-disk utility (like a suitable version of TransMac or MacDrive) in order to handle Mac-formatted Zip disks or 1.44 MB floppies.

As long as we are talking about plain file transfers between a Windows XP computer and an already working Performa 405, it is relatively easy (providing that certain rules are followed). Making certain bootable Mac-floppies on a Windows XP machine is possible, but relatively complicated. Modifying Mac disks on a Windows computer is either not possible or just difficult.

In this case, you should really try to find a fully working approx. 1991-1997 Macintosh (with a built-in floppy drive for 1.44 MB, and preferably with a CD-ROM drive and Ethernet) to be used as an intermediate computer.

Do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions.

Jul 31, 2015 12:52 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Regarding the disk...wouldn't something like this work too?

It's been a very long time since I last used a pre system 8.0 machine, but I remember tinkering with the LCII back in the day (It was the same model as the Performa 405 but built for the educational market).

I would echo what @JanHelund says regarding transferring the information across. One trick I used to use a lot back in the day was to use the Disk Tools Floppy to get things running and format the drive. System 7.5.x will be your best bet for the final OS, but if you can find a 7.0 or 7.1 boot disc I seem to recall they had a little more free space, allowing minimal network drivers.

Of course, that approach will only work if you have an LCPDS ethernet or localtalk card fitted...

If you can't find a classic mac from the 90s with a built in floppy (I advocate the beige first-generation G3s because they have EVERYTHING you need to talk to both new and old machines alike...) you could also go for something like a first or second-generation iMac running 9.x with an Imitation SuperDisk connected.

If you do have an iMac of the right vintage running 9.x, SuperDisks are supercheap... http://www.ebay.com/bhp/imation-super-disk-drive

As long as you have the right version of 9.x, these will quite happily read and write to floppies that the 405 will read...

Aug 9, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Thanks for the help so far. I found a hard disk that I think will work, and a program that I think will work to get the files to my computer. Does anyone here know anything about this? Is it worth spending $40 on when I could get an actual mac with a disc drive for $80?

Also, my Performa monitor needs the power button held in to stay on; it's missing something or other on the inside that held it in as a switch I guess. What's the easiest fix to make it able to stay in for normal computer usage? I'm not that good at electronics, but if you know what a common problem is and and an easy way to fix it, I'd appreciate it.

Aug 10, 2015 2:54 AM in response to Weboh

Are you sure that the Windows XP computer can handle SCSI drives (this would mean that it has a SCSI controller, which by no means is standard for a PC)? Even then, you would run into difficulties. A formatting utility like Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5 or Drive Setup 1.7.3, or third-party alternatives such as Lido 7.56, will only run on a Macintosh computer. The application under your link (I have not tested it) appears to be similar to MacDrive or TransMac, and would allow you to write to and read from Mac floppies (1.44 MB) and other disks. This is fine, as long as you only need to transfer files on floppy disks, but remember that once the Performa has System 7.5.x installed, it will be capable of handling PC disks (via the PC Exchange control panel, which is part of the system).

As I indicated above, the best way would be to look for a pre-1998 Macintosh computer (with a built-in floppy drive for 1.44 MB, and at least a CD-ROM drive) to be used as an intermediate machine. Preferably, with (a working) System 7.5 or higher. Such a computer should be relatively inexpensive.

Aug 15, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Weboh

I got a replacement drive, identical to the original one. It works as far as I can tell. I wrote Floppies containing Mac OS 7.1 with WinImage, which works as far as I can tell. I also have a Mac OS 7 boot floppy that I got from herethat works as far as I can tell. BUT, when I try to boot from that floppy, it gives me the happy Mac, followed by a blank screen, followed by a blank screen with a cursor on it, followed by... the happy Mac, in an endless loop. What could be the cause of this?

Also, does anyone know if I'll need to have disks with the Performa's drivers on it, or will it just work out of the box?

Aug 17, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Weboh

Once the computer has started from the Network Access floppy, do you see a hard disk icon on the Desktop? If so, and if the hard disk does not contain anything worth saving, you could click on the hard disk icon and then choose Erase Disk from the Special menu. Once the hard disk has been erased/initialised this way, one can try to drag-copy the System Folder from the Network Access floppy onto the empty hard disk. That should create a temporary system, which makes it possible to use the floppy drive for subsequent file transfers. If you switch off the computer, and then start again from the temporary system on the hard disk, is everything working OK, or does the machine still restart automatically?

Which exact operating system version are you planning to install?

Macintosh Performa 405 hard drive replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.