Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto misreads number of photos on iPhone, fails to load for import

iPhoto says there are 2427 photos on my iPhone 4s, fails to load thumbnails of those ready for import. I have deleted all photos from iPhone and done restart of phone, with same results (2427 photos...). Any ideas why iPhoto is behaving like this?

iPhone 4s (8GB), iOS 8.1

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 11:35 PM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2015 1:56 AM in response to marten berkman

You may have phantom photos on your iPhone.

If you have already emptied the Recently Deleted album, and still have phantom photos taking up space, have a look at this solution: There are apparently more users suffering from phantom photos that cannot be deleted: Changing the date makes the photos in "Recently deleted" visible again: Set the date on your iPhone back to last year and then check again the "Recently Deleted".

txforeverMar 5, 2015 6:38 PM Re: More photos in settings than photos app shows
Re: More photos in settings than photos app showsin response to morganfaith6

I managed to get rid of the phantom usage. Restoring iPhone and resetting the phone settings/data do not work for me.

I had to move the Date on my phone earlier by 1,2,3 months and found the phantom photos in the Recently Deleted Folder. Next, I deleted the photos manually from the Recently Deleted Folder and the usage got freed up from my iPhone.

Re: my iphone says i have 6.1gb photos in photo library. over 1000 pictures. i only have 60 how do i dlete these?

Aug 1, 2015 10:59 PM in response to léonie

in answer to your question, icloud is on, photo sharing is on, but only for albums when I specify them.

well I did not do anything but remove several songs, add a new playlist and one app, and lo and behold when I connect it iphoto it registers 0 photos! Nothing logical about why it does so now. However it is still hanging on "loading", even though it says zero photos.

So I just took four photos, and now it reads them instantly, no longer hanging on "loading"

all a mystery, that strange nonlinear path of software behaviour...belying the incredible complexity of the programming which I assume can have subtly unforeseen situations leading to erratic behaviour.

Needless to say, thanks for your attention and help! It seems the solution was just transferring some data, perhaps to refresh the file structure.

iPhoto misreads number of photos on iPhone, fails to load for import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.